Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently retrieved my '03 SLK230 from a neighbor's garage (we sold our home so I stored it there for a month) and I found mouse evidence under the hood. They'd eaten my hood insulation pad and made a nest under the electronic bay next to the battery. I ripped out the hood pad.

The interior had NO odor until today (4 days after taking the car out of storage).

Now, days later I am getting the foul smell of a dead animal in the cockpit, and it's getting worse by the hour. The car has only 40k miles and formerly smelled showroom new (the car had never even been driven in the rain), so this is most distasteful and distressing to say the least.

The only place I can detect any direct odor with the doors open is under the passenger dash foot well area. I am thinking that this may be the source of the odor that "fills" the cockpit when the car is closed up. Unfortunately I have no covered area now to keep the car where it can be left open to "air-out" if that's even remotely possible.

It appears that the under-dash panel (the only place I can smell the odor w/ the doors open) can be removed by removing two Philips screws at the backside, and the perforated shield should possibly come out toward the passenger seat? I don't know how something could have gotten up in there, but mice can squeeze through very tight places.

I suspect the activity of retrieving the car may have scared a mouse deep where it got trapped and possibly died, and now is beginning to decompose.

Any ideas from those who've had that part of the car opened up that would be useful would be much appreciated.

The electronics bay (black box with removable top at the firewell just inboard of the battery) is perfectly clean inside, but it would be helpful to be able to lift it to get rid of the nest located under it, but I see no clear way to move it.

I plan to remove the battery, which will give at least limited access to under the box, but I doubt it will be enough access to get out the majority of the nest made from the hood pad.

Thanks,
Bob

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,187 Posts
I agree with curro101 - there is an air hose that leads from the apparatus box next to the battery into the passenger footwell, I would bet they made their way through it into the footwell. It's good they went that direction - had the gone into the apparatus box it would've been a real mess.

The passenger-side carpet can be pulled back and down pretty easily, although you may have to pull around the edges some to free it. Just pull it back and lay it down on the floor.
This will reveal a styrofoam sheet which you should also pull out.
Finally, three 10MM plastic nuts secure the sheet-steel equipment bridge with some electronics attached. It has wires attached, but they are loose enough you can lay it down on the floor too. This should give you a good view of this area.

If they're not in there, you can indeed remove the perforated panel by removing the two screws - after the screws are loose, pull it down about 1" and then pull it towards the rear of the car. If you disassemble any further, just be extra careful - the plastics become very brittle over time and don't take well to rough handling.

Finally, if you still don't find the source, it's pretty easy to remove the seats and loosen the carpet enough to look underneath. Disconnect the battery for 30 mins first though since you'll be working with SRS components. You won't be able to fully remove the carpet, but you can get it loose enough for a good look/cleaning. This is a little more involved, but straightforward.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,942 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I lived in the forest, I had one that died partly in the blower motor hamster wheel in another Mercedes. So awesome that it spun the decomposing goop through the fins and all around. In our r170s, as with my w123, it's a very easy path for a mouse to get there. When you drop that passenger under-dash panel, drop the blower motor and have a good look up in there. If it's in the the fins and rotting, I'd suggest getting a new/used hamster wheel - along with bleaching everywhere you can reach in the hvac insides and replacing cabin filter -you can pull the wipers and the cowling under the windshield to get at this area from the top (though the big fresh air plenum hole the mice come in). (BTW, while you have that cowling off, it's a good idea clean and check the flow of the drains at the edges, as a back up will send water in that same big hole to rehydrate your stink in the future.) I cleaned like heck, and soaked the wheel in bleach for days, but it would still stink when the heater warmed it. First vanilla lysol, then expensive hvac spray deodorizers covered it only temporarily, so I had to replace it. If you can stand the smell of them, bars of Irish Spring Soap will deter new visitors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.