Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery died a few weeks ago, so I jump started it, and car worked fine, until 1 week ago, when I forgot the cabin light on, and the battery went dead again.
The battery is from 2013, and I don't know if it's still capable of holding the charge.

Yesterday and Today I did some electrical stuff, and kept running the electricity in the car, and a few moments ago, when I finished, I started the car, to put it back in its place (less than 1 minute engine running).

20 minutes later, I go back out to the car, and the doors won't open.

I go into the car, and try to start it, the engine starts working, but stops immediately. I tried accelerating, and stuff, but same symptoms. Then the car won't stop again, only after a few moments of waiting, then same thing happens. And I can do this over and over.

In the instrument cluster, when the key is in position 2, and when all the lights are supposed to be on, the only lights that are on are the Battery signal and the SRS.

I tried to jump-start my car again, but this time, it didn't work. Kept it charging for like 20 minutes, to no avail.
The car starts, then it stops immediately...

Some other strange things to consider:
The cabin light works. So do the break lamps, when braking.
The doors won't unlock though, even when the car is jumped to another car.
Neither the emergency lights won't work (not sure this is the name, it's the turn signals together, started from the red triangle (which is supposed to be a separate circuit from the ECU, right?)).

I also tried to disconnect the ground from the battery, then reconnected.
When I reconnected it, I had a few sparks.
That means that there might be some kind of load, or not...?

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a new battery this morning, hoping it would solve the issue.
The guys at the service agreed that the battery is dead, and it may not be worth paying for a recovery attempt.

Unfortunately, after connecting the battery to the car, and turning the key, I had the same symptoms: The car starts, but stops immediately... :(
Also, on the instrument cluster, the same thing happens: All lights are off, except the battery light.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,172 Posts
What does this mean: >>> I did some electrical stuff <<<.

Your symptoms do not match the usual K40 relay issues, but as a general precaution I would remove and re-flow all K40 solder joints.

Any chance the key has been damaged? If you shake your key does it rattle as if something is loose inside?

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,863 Posts
Having electrical issues after working on electrics means that is where you have to start.

Backtrack, check contacts.
Battery should last ten years. Assuming that it is a suitable type in the first place.
Average Joe batteries do not suit the slks.

Use search for battery issues on R170, there are several articles, including reset.

Central locking is run from the pse in the boot. Check if protective sponge is wet. Also several articles.

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed it

Fortunately, it was a fairly easy fix...
I checked the fuses, and discovered that the door lock/unlock fuse (nr 35) was blown.
So I swapped it, and that also blew.

I looked for shorts, and found out that a wire got stuck somehow between the wing and chassis, and got damaged, so the positive touched the ground.
Just glad it wasn't the ECU...

·
*Premium Member
2011 SLK250
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The electrical stuff I did was that I retrofitted facelift mirrors to my non facelift SLK.
So I had to change the connectors from the old mirror to the new one, and get a wire from the mirrors, through the door, and through inside the car, to where the engine is, and finally to the headlight turn signal lamp.

Although I disconnected the mirror, that wire was still connected to the headlamp, where it got the positive side, and touched the car chassis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.