Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a dash cam hard wired to the SLC today.

Was a little worried about going ahead but took a chance.

Halfords fitted it for £30 including the wire kit which retails at £20.

Before they started I expressed my concern with the fuse box being in the boot.

No problem they said as they take a feed off the glovebox light and feed all the wires within the windscreen surround.

Vey tidy job and the car didn't melt or explode on the way home.

Dash Cam fitted was a Next Base 312GW which they sell for £79.

We had the same one fitted in the Ewok last month and it does the job.

No connection whatsoever to Halfords so not trying to boost their sales figures.

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a the kit to install a nextbase 412 in my SLC. Have the cable and mount and, the camera which is in the A class at the moment. The magnet top on the camera means I can move the cam between cars as I switch what I’m driving.

Can you post up a pic of where they mounted on the front screen please @tadpole. I have dummy run putting the camera in mine unwired but, it seemed the visor on the passenger side would hit the camera. Interested to see if yours is in a better location or, visor and camera work in random.

Taking a feed off the glovebox light is a good idea as it’s only ignition live. I was going to run through to the fuse box under the bonnet and piggy back the glovebox fuse.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Had a dash cam hard wired to the SLC today.

Was a little worried about going ahead but took a chance.

Halfords fitted it for £30 including the wire kit which retails at £20.

Before they started I expressed my concern with the fuse box being in the boot.

No problem they said as they take a feed off the glovebox light and feed all the wires within the windscreen surround.

Vey tidy job and the car didn't melt or explode on the way home.

Dash Cam fitted was a Next Base 312GW which they sell for £79.

We had the same one fitted in the Ewok last month and it does the job.

No connection whatsoever to Halfords so not trying to boost their sales figures.

Cheers

Tom
Will that invalidate your car warranty ?

Many here would not let Halfords touch there cars :|

·
Registered
117 Posts
https://imageshack.com/a/img922/2464/guwN3w.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img922/1162/h9JW3O.jpg
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/3733/HXGYdF.jpg

First time I have tried to upload photos so hope they arrive and are viewable.

The visor just misses the dashcam with the suction mount.
I am thinking about buying the Stealth stick on mount which will be a bit higher and closer fit to the screen.

Mercedes warranty does not stop non Mercedes garages working on there vehicles.

If they do something that causes a problem then maybe.

If my gearbox packs in or engine blows they will struggle to blame it on a dash cam install.
and if something fails that is a result of Halfords negligence then I would have a come back on them.

Cheers

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Interesting how other people have powered Dash Cam's on their SLC's...

My one tip from the R171 is to do a dry fit of the USB power module, wiring & Dash Cam - Then power it up to make sure it doesn't knock the Radio or GPS module out....

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hi Tom

Thanks for this post.

Do you have any more info you are able to share about accessing the glovebox light? Any photos or tips you got from the installers at the time? Do you know if they had to cut any original wires?

I am looking to hardwire a dashcam but am not sure I want to do it if the fusebox is in the engine bay or the trunk/boot. I also would like to be able to do a completely untraceable uninstall should the need arise (ie no cutting original wires or drilling holes etc).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Undercover,

Sorry I just left the car with Halfords for an hour and it was all finished when I returned.

Still working fine and no problems.

Cheers

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
You can connect wire in the fuse box under the hood. Then run the wire to the firewall than over toward the side of the car and in the fender crack between the fender and the panel in front of the windshield. Then across the door jam and then under the rubber molding and inside wall panels to where ever you want to go next.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Pic 3 is crazy, that does appear to intrude an awfully long way into the swept area but I’m sure Halfords know what they’re doing......(???) There appears to be room to move it upwards? Probably at the expense of it fouling the sun visor but I know what I’d do.
https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/articles/product-placement-is-your-dash-cam-breaking-the-law
TonyS
I agree it blocks a lot of views. When I got my dashcam looked for one that was small in size. Installed it up high and in front of the rearview mirror. I Made sure it was not on the side of the light sensor for the rearview mirror. To view, I can remove it and use a computer to view or while in the car can use a link to my Iphone. Do not need to be able to see the video all the time just when there is a need. I Was hit by another car a few months ago and made a copy and sent it to the other car's insurance company and got paid no questions asked. In a year's time was the only need to view the video.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pic 3 is crazy, that does appear to intrude an awfully long way into the swept area but I’m sure Halfords know what they’re doing......(???) There appears to be room to move it upwards? Probably at the expense of it fouling the sun visor but I know what I’d do.
https://www.roadhawk.co.uk/articles/product-placement-is-your-dash-cam-breaking-the-law
TonyS
Tony,

The photo does make it look very low but to be honest from the driving seat it is not obtrusive.

I have tried moving as high as possible but if you do, the wide angle lens captures the rear view mirror housing.

You can buy an alternative sticky mount to replace the original and that may possibly help raiser it a little higher.

It is more in the eye line of the passenger but it hasn't bothered me on the return from the pub when the boss is driving!!

Cos I have my eyes closed!

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
I paid £192 to have a supposedly all singing all dancing MyDean dashcam installed. To play back the files on the computer I have to convert them from TAT files to Avi which then didn't play on either of my computers (Windows 8 and Windows 10). So I then had to convert them to MP4 files which took a long time. After all that, on playback, there was a 2 second pause between one file and the next, which in the context of enjoyable watching of a video was no use to me. Apparently this is because the camera stores gps locations and the speed of the vehicle so make sure you know what you want when buying a camera. I'm having it removed and going back to my old one which I bought off E-Bay for £25. Luckily for me the installer will refund the cost of the camera.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am looking to hardwire a dashcam but am not sure I want to do it if the fusebox is in the engine bay or the trunk/boot. I also would like to be able to do a completely untraceable uninstall should the need arise (ie no cutting original wires or drilling holes etc).
My thoughts entirely. I have got as far as checking the voltages in the fusebox in the boot. Interestingly every fuse there is not switched on the ignition except for the handbrake fuses (30A & 5A) So my plan at the moment is to use a piggyback plugged into the 5A to give me power when the engine is running. Where I am struggling at the moment is running a wire through to the cabin. Had one go but got nowhere. Considering the procedure to remove the decking around the roll hoops, but that will require a big shot of courage, to get behind the carpets behind the seats to pass the wire. From there it should be all plain sailing, fingers crossed!

I looked at the fusebox under the bonnet couldn't see how to run a wire out without compromising the waterproofing of the fusebox and then there is still got the problem of getting it into the cabin.

However everything is on hold pending warmer weather in the spring - too cold now to do these jobs outdoors...

For the dashcam I will probably get another Street Guardian 'wedge' as the compact form factor is so tidy & discreet while the results are excellent and they seem stable, having run one in my daily driver for about 3 years.

Any constructive suggestions or comments on the wiring issues thoroughly welcomed.

M

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
If it’s like the 171 the 12V supply and cubby box at the base of the centrestack should be easily removable. Piggy back/intercept that (I know, I hate scotchlocks too!) and run the wire out at the front of the transmission tunnel trim?
TonyS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts