Mercedes SLK World banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Thank you, that's very helpful and clears up some confusion I had with the different diagnostic systems past and present.

I personally own a post-facelift R170 from 2001 with the OBD port located in the cabin, not the older model with the port under the hood. Is this the differentiator for whether the R170 requires HHT or DAS?
I don't know for sure, but your car will need both HHT and DAS. The Star system will switch between the two as needed and you access various control modules and such. As @i860 mention, your best option is a MB Star system with either the C3 or C4 module. The C4 is a bit better and faster in the data pass-thru, but typically a little more expense.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered, but I notice this thread is in the R171 section but my understanding was Xentry was for all models, so is this an option for R170 and R172s also?
We left the thread in r171 rather than repeat it in each section :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can this be installed on apple MacBook laptop ?

Cheers
I guess it might be possible if you build an appropriate Windows virtual machine on the MacBook first using something like VirtualBox. But not sure why you would do that with all the added complications and performance impacts.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found a 59 euro VAS 5054A OBD Code Reader. See attached pictures. The ad states 'automotive Audi VW'.

Text of the ad:

"OBD2 VAS 5054A USB - Bluetooth. Versatile apparatus for reading car codes, can be used for many car brands. Works both via USB and wireless via Bluetooth.- VAS5054A- USB and Bluetooth interface- English- No power supply required, powered via the OBD- K line (ISO9141-2)- High-speed CAN (ISO 11898-2)- Low-speed CAN (ISO 11898-3)- J1850 (SAE J1850) Notice: Requires Windows 7 or higher and only 32 bit, complete with software.- VAS5054A USB – Bluetooth- USB kabel- Bluetooth dongle- CD with software and drivers"

Would this be of any use for diagnosing an early R171? 32 bit is a bit of a bummer.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a quick question too. I was using Xentry/DAS in pass-through with success but a wondering now if I can run it on Windows 10 in a virtual machine? This would be much better for me to do it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a VAS5054A, seemingly made by Softing AG, including 4 DVDs. However, one of the DVDs can't be read due to some surface damage (seems it has been left in its sleeve for too long in a damp environment).

The DVD affected is labeled EN, the other 3 are labeled DVD-1 to DVD-3.
I'm assuming the affected label has the driver software.

I've added a picture of the label. I may need to return it but wanted to know how much of a problem this is before doing so.

Does anyone know if this can be downloaded somewhere. My searches were fruitless, also because I do not know what should be on that DVD exactly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
I got a VAS5054A, seemingly made by Softing AG, including 4 DVDs. However, one of the DVDs can't be read due to some surface damage (seems it has been left in its sleeve for too long in a damp environment).
Before you return it try this (it will NOT harm it anymore that it may/may not be now):

Use liquid handsoap and wash it. Seriously. Many a DVD I get from the library sticks and sputters. Usually from dirty fingerprints from previous users.

Wet it under the tap. Put a drop or two (does not need more than that) of the (undiluted) liquid hand soap on it and using one finger, run your finger in circles and circles on the playing (non-label) side. Give it a good swirl.

Rinse it off under running water again using your finger to get the soap off. Dry it with a clean towel in a circular manner (same as how you soaped it with your finger).

Wait a few minutes for any residual moisture to evaporate.

Stick it in your player and try reading it again.

This will not damage it nor indicate that you've washed it if in fact it is truly damaged.

Doing it in circles vs across doesn't matter (its just easier). Although the tracks run across the disk (unlike a vinyl record--you do know what a record is :wink: ), it will not damage the tracks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mchild, thank you the explanation! i am following now.

MB has three diagnostic systems. HHT, DAS, and Xentry. Sometimes the system can be referred to as Star, SDS, DAS, or Xentry. All three systems are included in the system. The HHT (Hand Held Terminal) system is the first generation and runs until the early 2000's, DAS (Diagnosis Assistance System) is the system in place until about 2012-2013 or so, and then Xentry has been in place since then.

For the R170, depending on the date of manufacturer, it uses either HHT and a combination of HHT and DAS in the last part of its build life. R171 is fully covered by DAS, and the R172 is fully covered by Xentry.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, i managed to make it work on vm.
HI- can you point me where to get the hardware and software so I can access my car? I have a 2014 slk250 and I really want to be able to adjust my idle RPM as currently it's a little low which caused my car to vibrate. I thought of increase the idle rpm in hope to reduce the vibration.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
if you can PM me directly, that would be great. Apparently I cannot PM you.
you still cannot reply by pm until you get to 15 posts

go welcome members like we welcomed you

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome new members as we welcomed you to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator/administrator.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts