Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This challenge/query is for the R171:

For US models, there is an option to turn on DRL (Daylight Running Lamp) using the Settings menu.

THE DRL (when set to on), however, uses the low beam headlamps and having Xenon HID for low beam, I would prefer to not use them to prolong the HID lamp life.

Query/challenge: Is it possible to code or use the high/main beam H7 lamps only as DRL's instead of the low/dip beam? The high beam H7's are rarely used anyway in urban and suburban night driving.

I know the newer model vehicles, like the GLK, gives the option of using the LED fogs as DRL or the high beam H7 (albeit at less than normal light intensity) as DRL.

I also know that with SmartTop, one can set the fog lamps as DRL's, however, over a year or two years time, the heat from the H7 fog lamps will start to darken and then brown the plastic Lamin-X that I have on the fog lamps requiring replacement.

Perhaps one could ask the makers of SmartTop (for the R171) to update the firmware and add another option in Function 8: using the high beam headlamps as DRL's (in addition to the current existing options of either using fog lamps or the dip beam).

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,437 Posts
I have my smart top configured to use my fog lights as DRL's, and I have replaced my fog lights with 40 W LEDs. The LEDs produce very little heat.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my smart top configured to use my fog lights as DRL's, and I have replaced my fog lights with 40 W LEDs. The LEDs produce very little heat.
Are they CANBUS-error free or does one need to add resistors?
Are they H7 type plug-and play?
Got link to the product?

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
26 Posts
This challenge/query is for the R171:

For US models, there is an option to turn on DRL (Daylight Running Lamp) using the Settings menu.

THE DRL (when set to on), however, uses the low beam headlamps and having Xenon HID for low beam, I would prefer to not use them to prolong the HID lamp life.
Hi Etyu.
So, got lucky on that ?

I would like to put my DRL on fogs.
Because I installed HID and Demon Eyes on my Projectors.
So would like the low beams to stay off.
Because other wise I don't see them and they shut off automaticaly. I know I can disconnect that wire:|.

So is there a way by Menu entry to do that ? Or is it mandatory to go by DAS/STAR ?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,024 Posts
@etyu I can't remember the change over year for facelift.
Debs 350 is post FL (2009) and uses the fogs as DRLs and has the stupid cornering feature.

Suggests that may be a possibility for you. an't help on the DAS/STAR though.
@i860 may know.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Etyu.
So, got lucky on that ?

I would like to put my DRL on fogs.
Because I installed HID and Demon Eyes on my Projectors.
So would like the low beams to stay off.
Because other wise I don't see them and they shut off automaticaly. I know I can disconnect that wire:|.

So is there a way by Menu entry to do that ? Or is it mandatory to go by DAS/STAR ?

I use the SmartTop feature to use fogs as DRL, but have since disabled this feature.
I now drive without DRL during the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts