Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather turned nasty on me before I could change the oil myself, so I took it to a local group to change it for me. I asked how the oil looked (wanted to make sure it was not milky). The guy said it was a little burnt but not the worst he had seen.

I know that it has been mentioned many times that you can't really tell what is going on by just looking at the oil, but should an oil that has been in for less than 3000 miles (but has been in for a year) be significantly dark or burnt looking? Would the techron concentrate significantly darken the oil?

Also, the oil filter cap has been broken from the plastic that holds the filter in place. Have a new one on order but heading out on a 1000 mile trip. Since the cap is not holding the filter in place, can it slip down further into the oil housing or is it designed in such a way that everything fits snugly in place and not likely to shift out of place?

Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
The filter will stay in the chamber, but I'm not at all sure the oil will flow as it should for filtering purposes. I don't think the filter can block the input or outflow orifices.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
What is a local group? If a "quick" oil change place they almost always say it looks a little burnt. What the heck does that mean. Oil can be a variety of colors (Purple anyone?). What oil was it? 3000 miles seems a bit too frequent. What is your recommended oil change interval?

I am not a 170 expert but if your oil cap is the same as 171 or S series then the oil filter cap can separate and be reinstalled from the shaft. I have accidentally done it on an "S" and scared hell out of me. I don't have photos (too nervous) but was able to snap the cap back on to the shaft. Itr took a lot of pressure but did it by hand.

G.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,056 Posts
Well my old 170 usually done every year 3000 miles and i used to change with castrol magnatec oil .
And i can tell you it was always a golden brown finish .

Never black like a nice dark brown but clear if that makes sense !!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Filter problem solved. The my mercedesparts folks hooked me up with a replacement. I thought I was going to have to order one and wait until I got back from the trip.

3000 is a short drive time but it was in for a year and it had techron concentrate in it so it had to come out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Techron goes in the gas. It is recommended by many in the group here to change your oil after the techron has had a full tank to run thru and do what it can do to clean the fuel system.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to some info on other forums, the additives in the techron will impact the viscosity of the oil and break down the additives in the oil. Supposedly that information has been confirmed by Chevron. Chevron recommends using the concentrate two weeks before an oil change.

·
Banned
992 Posts
According to some info on other forums, the additives in the techron will impact the viscosity of the oil and break down the additives in the oil. Supposedly that information has been confirmed by Chevron. Chevron recommends using the concentrate two weeks before an oil change.
Have you got a link or that?

Since the same product is part of the additive package on their premium fuels, it would follow that you'd need to change your oil after every fill-up.

You really would then be on Big Oil's Christmas card list. ;)

http://www.techron.com/

I suspect the 'myth' developed as a result of maintaining a routine, ie when you are about ready to change your oil, do a fuel system clean at the same time.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
I hate rumors so I checked with Chevron both fuel and oil divisions and found Chevron does not recommend changing oil directly after Techron treatment but does recommend no more than 5 Concentrate treatments between oil changes in case of excessive blow by. In the case of using Chevron fuel with Techron they recommend adhering to the vehicle manufacturers oil change interval. I think that if you are requiring 3-4 concentrate uses per year you have additional engine problems.

Gordon

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
589 Posts
I've never heard of engine oil smelling "burnt". Transmission fluid yes.

What's more important is the sediment in the oil.

Are you using dino or synthetic?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.