Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown:Well here in the UK tonight our clocks turn back one hour. I've never understood why and have never heard a reasonable explanation that satisfies me personally.
Working 12 hour shifts I don't see daylight for months on end apart from on days off.
I'm convinced I succumb to SAD where my mood drops over the dark dismal winter months :frown:
My wife is the opposite, she loves the dark nights, it stems back to when our four kids were all younger and they had to be in the house safe and sound :smile:
I think the only thing that will lift my mood is the sight of my ghost lights I fitted earlier this year every time I open the car door!

Anyone else hate the dark nights/mornings?

Harumph :tazz:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,842 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
:frown:Well here in the UK tonight our clocks turn back one hour. I've never understood why and have never heard a reasonable explanation that satisfies me personally.
Working 12 hour shifts I don't see daylight for months on end apart from on days off.
I'm convinced I succumb to SAD where my mood drops over the dark dismal winter months :frown:
My wife is the opposite, she loves the dark nights, it stems back to when our four kids were all younger and they had to be in the house safe and sound :smile:
I think the only thing that will lift my mood is the sight of my ghost lights I fitted earlier this year every time I open the car door!

Anyone else hate the dark nights/mornings?

Harumph :tazz:
I'll tell you why!
Here in the far north, without turning the clocks back (or to be more precise, cancelling the summer hour forward) we would still have darkness at 10am, so the poor little mites would be going to school in the dark! :crying:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll tell you why!
Here in the far north, without turning the clocks back (or to be more precise, cancelling the summer hour forward) we would still have darkness at 10am, so the poor little mites would be going to school in the dark! :crying:
I remember some daft experiment late 60's or early 70's one year when we went to school in the dark with high viz sash bands on - it was never repeated :grin:
10AM?!! Strewth! :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
24,188 Posts
I'll tell you why!

I guess they struggle to find the handle on the car door.

12 hour shift workers have already spent a month going to work and coming home in the dark. Days and nights blend into one.

Once the frosts kick in, it makes for a long winter.

BUT, come spring we get more time off in the sunshine and can hit the roads whilst they are quiet. Queues for food, beverage and shops are shorter.
The kids are in school for most of the time, so lunch can be enjoyed in peace and quiet.

Winter is the small price to pay for three whole seasons of top down driving (and biking too, in my case).

The other option is to join the gang in the US or Oz.

Hmm!
Now that would make for an interesting roadtrip.:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
All our clocks went back one hour last night.. except for the old chiming clock hanging on the wall.. NEVER move the hands backwards, I have learnt to my cost. Breaks the springs and takes months to get mended here.

So the chimes are ringing out and after breakfast I shall have to carefully move the hands forward 11 hours .. letting every chime in between ring out loud and clear...

Used to love hearing my Dad do this when I was a child... means Christmas is getting closer.. :grin::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
You just reminded me of my dad too.
Good memories.
Yep.. those we love and lose, are actually still with us in so many ways.

If I am deeply troubled about something, I will have a long conversation with my Dad (in my head), finally realizing the advice he would give - helps to deal with most situations.

Happy memories are what make good times even better and help to make the bad times bearable. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lost my Dad when I was 22, he was 47 years young.....:crying:
I've known and been with my wife more than 10 years longer than I spent with my Dad.

He remains to this day the inspiration to my fatherhood of my four :wink:

Anyhow - enough of the sad stuff....it was bliddy dark at 5.15pm today...

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!! >:D

:grin::grin::grin:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
.it was bliddy dark at 5.15pm today...
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH!! >:D
:grin::grin::grin:
Wasn't dark here, or I didn't notice.. floated down the high street to our house, on a wave of alcohol (fumes)..after a wonderful Village Meal..5 courses with dancing in between (Abba got everyone on their feet, young and old).

Left home in sunshine at 11.30am and got home (somehow) just before 6pm to watch the rugby (ITV+1) on our computer...what a great Sunday !!!:x

·
Registered
352 Posts
We lived in Hawaii for 5 years and solved the winter darkness issue just fine. But then I felt a little cheated out of long summer days, so you can't win.
It was amusing to wake up and hear the radio announcer warn everyone that it was a "chilly" 60 degrees. Then you'd see school children all bundled up.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Ive been diagnosed with SAD for a few decades. Top down as long as I can and a trip down south in February does me good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The struggle is real... We don't ascribe to daylight savings here in R of SA (although they wanted to introduce it in Cape Town a while back and I think it was scrapped) but it doesn't mean that winters don't induce the SAD! I am a sunshine child and even if it's light but covered in cloud, it affects my mood in a big way!

Short days in winter but lots of sunshine, longer days in summer but four out of seven days a week sees rain on the east coast... ToTo remains a fair weather fellow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts