Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently chnaged the rims on my R170 SLK. Im runnnig 18" 245 on the front and 265 on the rear with both being 37 offset I beleive. Once I sorted the shorter wheel bolts, I thought my troubles were over. Not I have dangerous levels of tramlining and the car can vere off into oncoming traffic with no notice. I'm assuming it's down to the width of the tyre going from 205 to 245 and maybe the offset. The wheel is level with the arch and maybe an MOT failure anyway.

My thought are:

1) Go back to standard 16" rims :td:
2) Get new 225 tyres on the front and keep the 265 on the back
3) Sell the 18"s and the standard 16"s and get new 18"s with the correct offset and narrower tyres

Any suggestions are more than welcome as I need to resolve asap, before I die in an accident

·
Registered 1999 slk230-sold
14,936 Posts
Fluffy can it be that you need an Alignment on the car or the tires are not balanced correctly. i upgraded my wheels and tires and i have no problems except when i be in the right lane behind trucks i fall into the grooves of the road

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Tramlining is usually a characteristic of the tire that will be pronounced by a lower profile and increased width.
Sudden changes in the amount of pulling one way or the other can be an indicator of loose or soft suspension components.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. Car handled really well on the standard rims which led me to believe it was the tyres. The car had a UK MOT in April and any faults with the steering/suspension should have been picked up then. The fronts are Pzero Rosso Asymetric and I've heard mixed reviews about them.

Would changing the fronts to 225 directional make a difference? and would 225 on the front and 265 on the rear be too much of a size difference?

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
MOT would never detect soft bushings or joints that are loaded under static conditions (JMHO)
Problems with suspension components could be front or rear.
Reducing tire width would reduce the effect, but not correct the problem.
225s with 265s would be just fine.
Some tire will be just fine (or great) on one car and totally suck on the next.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
604 Posts
i have the same tire setup on my 32 without any issues. 37 front et 30 rear et and it rides fines. your offsets are within reason and you most likely need a new steering stabilizer and possibly some suspension componets

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Agree with Arno - but do have to say that just going from CS3's @ 225 to V12's @ 235 made a difference I can feel in the steering characteristics on the '350. No tramlining or other negatives, just a different "feel" for the better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit of an update. Took the car to garage this afternoon and had a 3mm tracking issue fixed. Nearside tyre was also at 20psi and offside was 32psi. On way back felt alot better. Another issue picked up at the garage was the condition of the front tyres. The has a noticable "step" on the inner most part of the tread pattern which looks to have been done by poor tracking on the previous owners car. Going for a second opinion tomorrow and might have to get some new front. If I do get some new tyres, I think I'll go for 225's

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Glad you found the pressure differences. Go to The Tire Rack site and read-up on tramlining.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another update. Whilst the 265 rears are 1.7% bigger than standard, the fronts are a massive 3.3% bigger than standard. If the car deosn't improve with the tracking and correct tyre pressures, I'll probably go for 225's on the front and get the correct profile to get closer to standard radius

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick update. I decided to get the correct size fronts fitted today. I got a pair of 225/40/18 fitted and the 20mm reduction in both tyre width and diameter have restored the handling back to normal. Really pleased with the results. I Decided on a budget tyre for only £63 each (only do 2000 miles a year as a weekend toy) and had a puncture repaired at the same time. Bonus was that the guy in the garage forgot to charge for the tyres themselves and I only paid £36 in total!!!!

I've got the 245/40/18 Pzero Rosso tyre on Ebay and hopefully make £50 for the pair.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Just a quick update. I decided to get the correct size fronts fitted today. I got a pair of 225/40/18 fitted and the 20mm reduction in both tyre width and diameter have restored the handling back to normal. Really pleased with the results. I Decided on a budget tyre for only £63 each (only do 2000 miles a year as a weekend toy) and had a puncture repaired at the same time. Bonus was that the guy in the garage forgot to charge for the tyres themselves and I only paid £36 in total!!!!

I've got the 245/40/18 Pzero Rosso tyre on Ebay and hopefully make £50 for the pair.
Shouldn't one go back and tell the gentleman that he forgot to charge you for the tyres?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Although some won't agree, I would never consider going more than one size over manufacturers recommendation. Just don't like that huge, over sized tire look. Not needed for my style of driving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't realise until I got home that I hadn't been charged. The garage has my details and if they contact me then I would pay. Not saying it's right but I'm a bit p***ed off at the moment after paying £16k for an operation on my back, even though I pay £200 a month national insurance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts