Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BERLIN/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Daimler AG is recalling more than 1 million Mercedes-Benz cars and sport utility vehicles worldwide to address potential unintended air bag deployments, the German automaker said on Monday.

The safety recall covers 495,000 vehicles in the United States, 400,000 in Britain, 76,000 in Canada and a few hundred thousand in Germany, company officials said. The German automaker did not immediately have a complete worldwide total.

An electrostatic discharge, coupled with a broken clock spring and insufficient grounding of steering components, can lead to inadvertent deployment of the driver side front air bag in vehicles subject to the recall, the company said.

As part of the fix, it said dealers would add new grounding to the steering components.

A Mercedes-Benz spokeswoman in the United States said there had been "a handful of instances where drivers suffered minor abrasions or bruises" due to the air bag problem.

No deaths have been reported and the issue is not related to the massive recall of Takata air bag inflators worldwide.

The recalls covers some 2012-2018 model year A, B, C, and E-Class models and CLA, GLA and GLC vehicles.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Just received a letter today 12/30/17 that they should have the replacement for my 2007 SLK in March 2018. My SLK is in Group 4 for replacement.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
483 Posts
Just received a letter today 12/30/17 that they should have the replacement for my 2007 SLK in March 2018. My SLK is in Group 4 for replacement.
Got the same letter with the same March date for my 2010 GLK the other day, but I think the issue Jeff is referring to is not the same as our Takata Airbag Russian Roulette issue. I'll believe it when I get something from Carlton.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
MB has two recalls related to airbags.

The one I received the letter was the first one that has the Takata that has metal parts. This was the one I got the letter on.

The second recall which your post refers to is where the clock spring can break and could lead to the air bag going off.

Sorry I post my letter under the wrong recall.

Paul, I have a 2016 GLA that has this second MB recall and waiting on fix from MB as I do not have a sure fix yet.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.