Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Lately I've been taking to using the forum recommendations (double bucket wash and meguir's black wax) and loving how the car looks when fresh washed. Being the best color SLK available (black) I have a problem especially this time of year with tree pollen (and later in the year road dust). I don't have a garage or carport to park in and we are on a semi busy road so I get dust and tree pollen all the time. I washed and waxed the car on saturday and it is a mess already by Monday. The wax helps everything to not stick much so a light chamois cloth might be enough to do it, but I worry about rubbing away the wax. I don't want to go so far as a wash or a daily spray. Is there a soft 'dust mop' that would take off most of the pollen and dust that is safe to use daily?

Alternatively, would a light car cover be a better idea? Any recommendations for one that is light enough to just toss over the top of the car at night when I get home?

thanks,
rick

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Sarge uses a car dust mop. They are easy to find - handheld about 20-24" long and have lots of soft microfiber threads that won't damage the paint (supposedly). I have one I got from Griot's that works well, and I'm sure you'll find some on your side of the pond. However, for a daily cleaning I prefer blowing off the dust / pollen using an electric mini blower (also from Griot's) and then giving the car a quick wipe using a spray-on detailer's solution and a couple of very soft microfiber towels (Meguir's has a black detail spray - just be sure to get black towels cause it will stain. I prefer V07.)

I live in NC, among the pines and this time of year, pollen is a daily problem for us with black cars. I have had a dust mop scratch if there are any large pieces of debris that you drag across the surface, but Sarge and others swear by them. Just be sure if you use one to shake it out regularly (away from the car) and to store covered.

Speaking of covers, I use an MB cover that is fitted and I store the car inside. There are companies (Coverall?) that are cheaper that sell fitted versions that I would recommend if storing outside, as wind can blow it away. And while you can secure the cover with a cord underneath the car, a fitted cover is quick and easy to put on and off. Just be aware that a cover really isn't that much help with pollen, as it transfers to the car during the on/off, no matter how you fold it. But will help with other things, such as cat prints, bird poo, leaves, etc.

Face it, with a black car those moments when your finish is perfect are rare and fleeting. Don't even mention that debris catcher below the rear license plate that needs to be cleaned by the time it takes to pull out of the driveway.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
Yup....california duster. $14 in walmart
keep one in the trunk and one in the garage

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
You could also use a 'quick detailing spray'

Loads on the market, i like to use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer,
I park my car on the road so its open to the elements does a great job of taking water marks off the paint work as well other things too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys,

thanks for the advice. I'll look into a mop as I think that will do what I want.

Might be easier/less work in the long run to build and stick a couple of doors on your car-port?
I don't have a car port. Open air driveway on a road.

thanks
rick

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
If the car is parked on an open driveway next to the house, is it amenable to the use of a tent-like structure with covers on 3 sides?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the car is parked on an open driveway next to the house, is it amenable to the use of a tent-like structure with covers on 3 sides?

No. We park 3 cars on the drive and mine is in the middle. We also have to sometimes park 4 which means the tent would have to move. It is also a rental property so permanent changes aren't possible, thus why I'm thinking car cover.

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
No. We park 3 cars on the drive and mine is in the middle. We also have to sometimes park 4 which means the tent would have to move. It is also a rental property so permanent changes aren't possible, thus why I'm thinking car cover.
Everything I've read suggests using a car cover WITHOUT washing prior opens up the possibility of constantly scratching the paint :crying: every time you put it on/take it off.

Not a good idea IMO :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Hi All,

Lately I've been taking to using the forum recommendations (double bucket wash and meguir's black wax) and loving how the car looks when fresh washed. Being the best color SLK available (black) I have a problem especially this time of year with tree pollen (and later in the year road dust). I don't have a garage or carport to park in and we are on a semi busy road so I get dust and tree pollen all the time. I washed and waxed the car on saturday and it is a mess already by Monday. The wax helps everything to not stick much so a light chamois cloth might be enough to do it, but I worry about rubbing away the wax. I don't want to go so far as a wash or a daily spray. Is there a soft 'dust mop' that would take off most of the pollen and dust that is safe to use daily?

Alternatively, would a light car cover be a better idea? Any recommendations for one that is light enough to just toss over the top of the car at night when I get home?

thanks,
rick
I'm also in Surrey - under trees. Pollen, leaves, small branches and bird poo are the bane of my life having three cars to keep clean. I even posted a pic today of Silkie with four day's pollen on her. Filthy!

Everything I've read suggests using a car cover WITHOUT washing prior opens up the possibility of constantly scratching the paint :crying: every time you put it on/take it off.

Not a good idea IMO :wink:
I'm inclined to agree here. I don't think pulling any sort of material across a car is good for the surface. I'd rather a quick wash before setting off (and will be doing that to Silkie on Saturday morning). Having clayed, waxed and sealed Silkie before the Scottish trip she'll be ready pretty soon after two buckets and a mitt. :smile::smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use the Swiffer duster you already have....

Swiffer duster is great on North Carolina Pine Tree pollen. My wife cleaned two cars, occasionally shaking out the one refill on the duster wand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts