Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi guys anyone have problems with the DAB radio it keeps losing signal i have the 2014 cdi slk and keeps losing signal more times than it is on, i have a 2014 mini clubman with DAB and have no issues at all, its annoying some times like yesterday you lose half the song
many thanks

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I too have a similar issue in my 2012 250 CDI. DAB drops out every so often, only briefly, but it's very annoying. Had DAB before and this is thefirst time I have come across this issue. Have not had a chance to investigate as yet, but if I get then chance I will let you know what I find!!

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Same thing here. I blame the single antenna solution (in the front wind screen). The SL has a second antenna for DAB in the trunk lid (no, not a pimpel on the outside). It's on my todo list to investigate if this would solve the problem.

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Do you have a USB from 12V plugged in anywhere? I find that depending on the size and brand, they vary in their effects from nothing (Griffin, Bel Kin) to completely wiping out all DAB reception. Unplugging a bad one immediately brings the DAB back.

Could be worth a try.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
No USB for me, so guess that is not the issue. Suspect as JudgeMing says its the antenna solution employed by MB. Will need to investigate and see...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep DAB reception is diabolical here in Devon.
Can only use it if parked up.
I'm from Devon too (a different part though) and only ever use the DAB tuner when I listen to the radio although I do also have a USB stick pugged in for my own music. There's only one place anywhere I've ever had issues with reception and it happens consistently (Dean Prior on the A38), to be fair though, I always had reception problems there on my other cars using FM.

There is obviously an inconsistency in personal experiences here, so it seems to me that there might be some external factor coming into play, it'd be really handy to find out if there is a common cause for people's problems.

By the way, my car has a std Audio20 head unit not Command... Could something like this be a factor?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have nothing plugged in or usb stick i also have the standard audio 20, my mini has no issuses at all, my last merc had no problems either , a friend of mine always has vw and he never has had any issues,
its so annoying i googled this and read that MB uk are aware of issues from last year so think when i am off work i will ring them and see what they say

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
i googled this and read that MB uk are aware of issues from last year so think when i am off work i will ring them and see what they say
Would be very interested to hear what they have to say!

·
1,384 Posts
I've got a music USB plugged in, but I doubt that would be the problem. There have been quite a number of upgrades on the DAB+ tuner itself (different part numbers) and since the signal is lost intermittent, I've got my eye on the antenna and the antenna amplifier.

Audio20 or Comand doesn't make much difference either since it's only the sound amplification that is worked there. All the DAB components are in the DAB controller in the trunk.

There is a second unused antenna port on the DAB controller so easy testing ...

·
Registered
500 Posts
The issue seems to be that not all cars experience this problem.

Do you happen to know if DAB module in the the boot has its own firmware that's updatable? Otherwise, if that's the cause, it'd have to be a additional or replacement hardware to fix the problem :frown:

Just another couple of thoughts, is there anything that people commonly have near the windscreen antenna e.g. standalone satnav? or perhaps installed options e.g. phone cradle?

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
It's only 12V USB chargers that give me a problem. I have a hard drive plugged into the USB for music.

·
1,384 Posts
The issue seems to be that not all cars experience this problem.

Do you happen to know if DAB module in the the boot has its own firmware that's updatable? Otherwise, if that's the cause, it'd have to be a additional or replacement hardware to fix the problem :frown:

Just another couple of thoughts, is there anything that people commonly have near the windscreen antenna e.g. standalone satnav? or perhaps installed options e.g. phone cradle?
No software to update I'm afraid. That's why MB got out different part numbers. Not a cheap switch either, the thing will easily set you back 500 EUR, which is a case of grand theft!

·
1,384 Posts
Some investigation on the SL solution in the trunk lid shows that there are actually three antennas in there. One for 536 (Sirius), one for AM radio and one for 386 the GPS option and the phone capabilities of the car itself (not NTG related).

Sooo, no antenna for 537 (DAB). There is an antenna splitter in there splitting the front window antenna into DAB and TV, just like in the Japanese R172 series. Actually, JP has 865 (TV) as an option but not 537. Europe has 537, US has 536.

Hmmm. Maybe attach an after market DAB signal ready antenna?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.