Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting my own STAR/DAS/Xentry setup and most sellers seem to be offering them for use with Dell D630 laptops. I have a trusty old D830 collecting dust in the attic that should be very similar to a D630, except I believe it has a bigger screen and a bit more oompf in the CPU.

Does anyone know if the software would be compatible with that laptop?
(Or is there a special reason to stick with the D630?)

Thanks!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,289 Posts
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting my own STAR/DAS/Xentry setup and most sellers seem to be offering them for use with Dell D630 laptops. I have a trusty old D830 collecting dust in the attic that should be very similar to a D630, except I believe it has a bigger screen and a bit more oompf in the CPU.

Thanks!
I am almost positive that the D830 is compatible. The issue is that the HDD you purchase thinks the hardware is a D630 and the footprint of the D830 idendifies the same as the D630, so the HDD won't know the difference.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
Of the three Dell laptops, 430, 630, and 830 the biggest difference is the screen size. I think all have a removable hard drive (know 430 and 630 do, never had a 830). All are 2007 models and while I think the CPU is 64 bit capable, it probably does not have enough RAM. Street value is between $25 and $100 depending on condition and options.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,592 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
The problem is not the software the hardware is the problem.
For c3 mux you need D630 or D830 ( personal if you go for c3 mux i will go with d630 )
For sd connect c4 any laptop the newer the better

If you need more help send me an private message.

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,588 Posts
Hi,

D830 has a modified "South Bridge" which in laymans terms means you can, with a BIOS Update run 8GB RAM ..........................

Don't get too excited though, you will also need to get SDS to run on Windows 7 64 Bit to take full advantage of that :)

I have this year successfully got 12/2017 system running on 64bit through the help of a buddy, I'm using 2.4 Ghz and 8GB RAM, latest Bios from Dell, and a C4 Mux.

This thing is absolute lightning fast compared to my other system, C3 9/2014, but there is no more HHT on it and we have issue that the C4 Wireless "Road 24" doesn't work with 64 bit Windows for some reason.............

Have got it working via a spare router though. Works a treat on the LAN Cable. I don't trust Wireless when Programming, but Wireless is useful when just doing Diagnosis, or Version Codings etc ;)

I just kept the C3 XP system for older Cars and HHT ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts