Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to replace the head gasket on the slk230. I can remove 6 of the 10 head bolts. The other four have stripped heads. One of them has a very strange issue. The star socket is still spinning on the bolt head but just would not come out. Any ideas what to do next? The car has over 210k miles on it. Thanks.

Mantist

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

I am trying to replace the head gasket on the slk230. I can remove 6 of the 10 head bolts. The other four have stripped heads. One of them has a very strange issue. The star socket is still spinning on the bolt head but just would not come out. Any ideas what to do next? The car has over 210k miles on it. Thanks.

Mantist
Drill the bolt heads off using increasing sized bits, the fact that they are recessed makes this relatively easy. Once the cylinder head has been lifted, extract the remains of the bolts with mole grips. You'll be fitting new bolts as a matter of course anyway.

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..

Still not able to remove the star bit/socket from one of the bolts. Not sure what is catching. It is spinning on the stripped bolt head. I can feel the bit turning by reaching under and to the side of it. :frown:

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Socket has been removed. Three of the stuck on bolts have been removed with bolt extractor bit. Last one now has part of the broken extractor bit in it.

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. Not until I separate the cylinder head and crankcase by drilling out the bolt head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.