Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, very nice! I've noticed on my original steering wheel there is film that is starting to bubble - it was a very hot summer. Are those carbon fiber covers by the buttons? Where can I find those?

·
1,110 Posts
No sir.. DIY job! I figured since the button plate was scratched from the previous owner and while I had everything out, I would dismantle the buttons, spray tint the button faces and CF wrap the button plate. Must admit, it came out better than I expected and this process would compliment your wheel perfectly!

Maya~Taptalk

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
88 Posts
Where did you get the wheel from, and did you have to send your original away?
I’m thinking of changing mine, not because the original is worn, just because its too thin to hold and too large in diameter for my personal taste.

but... I’m scared of buying an expensive wheel from overseas and it not fitting or whatever.

jester

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
88 Posts
And being honest, I’m not one for C/F unless you have the performance pack. I prefer Alcantara or similar to match the seats.

i wait to be flamed.... 🤐

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The steering wheel comes from the USA and they provide the steering wheel (used original for your car model). They can make to your specifications. My wheel took about 4 weeks. Have a look at their site with prices listed:

I will post final photos once I get it installed - hopefully this weekend.

·
1,110 Posts
Got mine via eBay. Search Leder Lenkrad and you will find the German Company. Yes you do need to send your own wheel overseas but mine only took about 10 days door to door. Best thing is to find a similar wheel on eBay etc and send that off. LL have a good choice and mine is thicker and much grippier. They cannot reduce the size due to the configuration of the spokes but it feels and looks slightly smaller and it doesn't obscure the instrument binacle. I paid £80 for a used wheel with airbag and about £260 for the rebuild including postage. If you want a smaller wheel you're gonna pay an arm & and a leg... like £1000+ for the sports wheel if you can find one and they're rare as hen's teeth!

Maya ~ Taptalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts