Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a project for the past several months which I have reached a point just before no return and am chickening out some what.

As you can see in the below pictures, I have been working on custom door pods which will fit over the oem doors and allow me to mount 3way seperates in the doors.

However I knew at some point I would have to decide if my work met my requirements of either being factory looking, or at least look like a professional did it (which I am not) and have gotten cold feet and am hesitant to make those cuts in my factory panels.

As you can see in the third picture the biggest of which is to the lower bottom of the panel for the bigger of the two drivers to fit.

In the end I can always stop here and go back to the 2-way setup that came in the car, mounting my speaker in the factory locations (i.e. picture 3). But I have all these pretty speakers I am dyeing to use in this manner and after all the labor I have invested am hard pressed to give up on it.

My alternative is to just do it, and when funds become available buy an extra set of door panels which match so that I can go back, but its that initial jump off the cliff which I am fearful of.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
If you're happy with your work , go for it , there are plenty of r170's around for breaking to get another set of panels at a decent price !

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the time being I have shelved the door pods and am in the process of reconnecting everything with the oem door panels and speakers in stock locations (2ways with mid in lower portion of door and tweet by door handle). I am hoping that my aftermarket speakers with amplification will give me some satisfaction, but it won't be what I had hoped for.

Part of the issue was fitment, the pods (without covering) just didn't fit around the edge of the doors the way I wanted and I realized that while no one else would probably notice it the flaws. I would be looking at it everyday and it would bug me, so they are on the shelf and most likely will make it to the trash in the end.

I am reassessing things and trying to decide if I want to do custom a-pillars, kick panels or possibly even something in the mirror triangles. I had really wanted to use a 3-way separate speakers system up front, and have a dedicated driver for each of the lower midrange, upper midrange and highs but as I have always known there is a huge compromise needed between great sound, aesthetics and the space needed to get it all to work together. In our cars space seems to always be the limiting factor....

I am sure this episode is...to be continued

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.