Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the back box off a slk 170 mk2 2000/2004 will fit my 99 170? The one on mine is the AMG twin pipe which i can't get hold of but the one mentioned (2000/2004) is a stainless performance one.What bits are different on the structure in the back box area?

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you fancy a drive to Nant-y-moel, you can come and measure up my car. I'd meet you half-way, but broken arm currently precludes driving.

Take you half hour, M4 to J36, north on A4061 towards the Bwlch.

PM me if you want to visit. Will send you my tel no.

For our non-British readers, the Welsh language is great for place names with no vowels in them. Makes for some interesting pronunciation by non-Welsh speakers :)

Anthony

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer, i'm going to risk it and just sell it on if it won't fit. Other option is going to Longlife exhausts up your way. They want about 300 for a custom stainless back box.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That's not a bad price.

Let us know your experience with them, please. I was wondering what they can do for an SLK in a thread I started a few days ago, but got no response, so you may be the only person on here who's used them. Obviously not the first SLK owner, though, if they already have a design.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first time i went up there i thought it was the bit with the cats and was quoted about 400 for those.We then found that the rattle was the back box so custom made there and then would be 300 plus a bit extra to have twin tail pipes.You can even select how you want it to sound.Those prices included fitting too!
My local garage send all the 'upper end' cars there as its cheaper than getting originals. Not used them myself but all my mates seem happy with them. You also get a free courtesy car for the 4hrs they would need yours.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You also get a free courtesy car for the 4hrs they would need yours.
Excellent. Will def use them when the time comes.

They fitted a pre-made cat-back exhaust to an old Honda Integra XSi I had a few years back. Was very good quality. They only needed about 30 min to fit that, so I sat and drank loads of their coffee.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the time being i'm fitting a standard backbox but if anyone spots a performance or AMG system going cheap could you post on this thread please.I don't look at the classifieds that often.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From my research i reckon the factory AMG back box is a standard 230k box with twin tailpipes welded on and the AMG plate tack welded on.Can anyone confirm this. Just what it seems going by the part numbers.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Have you got contact details for the exhaust company- and perhaps some feedback when you have had it done

Always good to have suppliers lined up for the day you need them

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update- ~I changed the backbox to a standard one yesterday and although it sounds better its still got a slight 'rasp' and rattle type sound.Question is, can i chop the AMG backbox open and repair what ever was loose inside it?

·
Registered
274 Posts
interested in this as mine is quite raspy sounding iv changed the cat section and the backbox (both secondhand) and it made no difference still sounds the same

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i can't see anything wrong except a pile of rust particles. What do you reckon on packing with new wool stuff and welding back together? Its very simple inside and no welds are broken and no obvious holes although i am going to pressure test it somehow.
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Repacking and welding closed is a good option. All the metal looks in good enough condition to last years. Exhaust repacking material seems to be pretty cheap on eBay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.