Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· *Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
7,101 Posts
That is a very unique and interesting approach to improving the lighting, which is a universal problem with the factory halogens (and the bi-xenons are not much better). Thanks for posting this. How exactly did you cut your grill? I.E. what tools did you use?

I don't think it would be possible to fit these into the factory headlight assemblies, unless you want to forgo the existing main/high beams, which kinda defeats the purpose.

· *Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I just happen to have a set of factory halogen assemblies, maybe I will consider. The projectors in the factory units are Hella brand, I wonder if any other Hella units might fit.

Can you say what you think the differences are between your factory projector and your new?

· *Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The projectors have a lens, and the lens has curvature, how does the curvature compare between new and old? Roughly the same? One "flatter"? I know you can't measure this, I'm just looking for approximations that might explain the improvement and justify cutting an otherwise perfect set of headlights.

· *Premium Member
7,101 Posts
the question, in my mind, is about how the projectors compare. of course, blinding oncoming traffic isn't a valid solution, but OP said the cutoff line (which is produced by the projector) was correct.

I'm not an expert, but it would seem that any improvement would have to be a result of improvements to the projector optics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts