Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wonderful son drove into a curb. The lower control arm is bent, front and rear rims broke, no need to mention two tires also gone. So I am spending my day today replacing the control arm. I'm sure I will post more about the adventure as I go. If anyone has advice for how to remove that dang bolt behind the rotor I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
115 Posts
My son and daughter could never understand why I would not let drive my vehicle. My daughters attitude 'it's only a car!' Alright I had the expense of getting them a vehicle but it paid dividends!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2000 SLK320
210 Posts
Oh dear, that's a bummer. Are you still speaking to your son? My son did the same to my old Mini years ago, but has grown into a very competent driver having owned a succession of modified R32 Skyline GTRs over the last 12 years. He's nearly as good a driver as me :smile: He is allowed to drive any of my cars in fact he's using my SLK320 while his current GTR is being restored. Good luck with the repairs. Insurance job?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,326 Posts
So my wonderful son drove into a curb. The lower control arm is bent, front and rear rims broke, no need to mention two tires also gone. So I am spending my day today replacing the control arm. I'm sure I will post more about the adventure as I go. If anyone has advice for how to remove that dang bolt behind the rotor I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
I've raised five adults and whenever something like this happened it was on them to fix it. I would provide support and guidance but they had to source the parts, order the parts, plan the repairs and execute the plan to do the repairs themselves. I had a daughter that took a very similar veiw as @richardjames' daughter and when she ran off the road and did a similar level of damage as to your SLK I just let the car sit until she came to me asking me when it was going to be fixed. I looked at her and shrugged that it was just a car and not terribly important to me to get it fixed. Of course, her response was that it was the car she depended on to get around and go to work - oh, so it is more than just a car now that you don't have the use of it. I reminded her what she had to do (source, order, install parts, ect) to get the car repaired and of course she thought I was being ridiculous to expect her to repair the car herself. Well she did do the repairs herself with me providing guidance and support. the first day working on the car she started to grumble about how unfair it was and I walked out of the garage - she stopped the grumbling.

Until they have skin in the game - and that is true about everything not just cars, they won't have true appreciation for what it is or the real value of it.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,075 Posts
My daughters attitude 'it's only a car!'
... until she has to pay for it. Which probably explains people's lack of care when driving a car - they haven't paid for it.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,326 Posts
... until she has to pay for it. Which probably explains people's lack of care when driving a car - they haven't paid for it.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. When my daughter (step daughter) had that first accident and destroyed two wheels, two tires, the passenger side mirror, and a control arm (one of several accidents she eventually has had), her expectation was we would provide her with another one of our cars to drive as we (me) fixed the one she had torn up.

The problem here is one of expectations. Her father provided her with the car when she turned of age to drive. She had no skin in the game and her mother and I were against his efforts to provide her with a car, but we could not stop him. And then when she tore it up he shrugged and said to send it to a shop to repair it. That's when we intervened and started to change the direction of things. We got her father to agree to step our of it and we had her do the repairs to help her gain some appreciation. He found that a bit bizarre that we would expect her to fix something she broke. Personally, I found his way of viewing it a bit bizarre.

Now that she has bought her own car with her own hard saved money she has a completely different view of things. She complained the other day that one of her friends must have had some mud on their shoes when they got in her car. I shrugged and said it was only a car ;>}

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,075 Posts
Maybe we were lucky. There never has been the 'it's only a car' statement in our house.

We bought the 'first cars' for our children but they paid for insurance, tax and running costs. My son lost control on the ice in his first car and hit another car. With our guidance he had the car written off, disposed of it and bought his own second car. Our daughter's car died a natural death, unfortunately, but again, with our guidance she bought her second herself. Our twin boys again had a 'free' first car but had to run it themselves too.

That was ten years or more ago and they all now run their own cars - and take particular care of them and other cars as a result.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,471 Posts
At 16, I bought my first daughter a car but gave her 3 things that must not happen else she loses the car... 1) no accident, 2) no DUI, and 3) grades cannot suffer. Knock on wood. It has been 8 years now and she has faithfully kept all three goals. So much so we upgraded her 2002 A4 to a 2012 A4 last year. It isn't the kids that is the problem, it is us the parents who should look within us and ask if we are doing the right things...

Fixing the car is the least of the problem.... having the kid own and be responsible for his/her actions is far more important...

Reactions: T-Bears and etyu

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,308 Posts
Back to thread title :D

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,326 Posts
Maybe we were lucky. There never has been the 'it's only a car' statement in our house.

We bought the 'first cars' for our children but they paid for insurance, tax and running costs. My son lost control on the ice in his first car and hit another car. With our guidance he had the car written off, disposed of it and bought his own second car. Our daughter's car died a natural death, unfortunately, but again, with our guidance she bought her second herself. Our twin boys again had a 'free' first car but had to run it themselves too.

That was ten years or more ago and they all now run their own cars - and take particular care of them and other cars as a result.
Sounds like you did a good job of instilling a sense of value with your children. Of the five we raised, the youngest was the most mechanically inclined and when his father bought him his first vehicle (Ford truck) it turned out to be a rust bucket. So the boy and I took on the effort of getting it truly road worthy, which included having to weld in a new frame section. Months later when we were done the boy had so much effort invested in that truck I was not surprised that he took great care in driving it - as if his grandmother had taught him to drive. He had major skin in the game of having that truck and he valued it extensively. Never have had a concern about him and taking care of his vehicle.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,308 Posts
Back to thread title

Curb damage :(

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,326 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Have you removed the rotor? Can you post a picture of the bolt you are having difficulty with?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, if I still remember how to add photos and all I will show you the bolt and arm complete. I installed the arm and new shocks along with brake pads. All done in about five hours :)

The reason I was having problems was because I tried to use a shortcut and just unbolt the arm and lower it with a jack. The first photo is of the bolt that prevents this. There is not enough clearance to get the spindle out of the hole even though the nut came all the way off. I ended up removing the disc and arm that attaches to the upper control arm. Once that was off everything came out easy. I did have to raise the car another notch so the jack could be removed after lowing the now free arm to get the spring out. The rotor came out easy peasy!! I wire brushed all the corrosion and dirt off first!

Wire brushed rotor

Elusive nut

Lower control arm installed

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,326 Posts
Okay, if I still remember how to add photos and all I will show you the bolt and arm complete. I installed the arm and new shocks along with brake pads. All done in about five hours :)

The reason I was having problems was because I tried to use a shortcut and just unbolt the arm and lower it with a jack. The first photo is of the bolt that prevents this. There is not enough clearance to get the spindle out of the hole even though the nut came all the way off. I ended up removing the disc and arm that attaches to the upper control arm. Once that was off everything came out easy. I did have to raise the car another notch so the jack could be removed after lowing the now free arm to get the spring out. The rotor came out easy peasy!! I wire brushed all the corrosion and dirt off first!
Looks good. Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have a picture of how bent it was?
I didn't take a picture of it but I can tell you the tire was hitting the back of the wheel well. He was going about 30MPH trying to make a turn onto a side street and over-steer plowed him into the curb at about a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like a pretty big impact. How are you going to check the alignment of everything?
The small town tire store didn't have the correct tires in stock so I have to wait until next week to get an alignment done. I'm hopeful that everything else is okay and the alignment comes into specs. If not watch Craig's list for a car for sale... :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.