Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your reading this you've probably had a nightmare or two about driving into a parking bumper with your low hanging R171 plastic bumper. Well last year I started living the nightmare. After dropping my '55 with a Bilstein / Eibach B12 kit, my brother-in-law curbed and cracked my bumper in 3 places.

But now I'm installing a set of Wera's headlight eyebrows and thinking about going with a set of Black Series "like" fender vents as well. Since I need to paint this stuff before installing, it's prolly time to deal with the bumper again too.

Luckily I found a local shop that knows how to properly repair these plastic bumpers, that is without charging the typical Mercedes tax.

This time tho, I want some kind of warning system on the car so anyone (myself and the wife included) will know if a parking bumper is getting ready to jump out in front of the low hanging nose of the car.

Ive found something called a "Curb-Alert" for about $140 with a sensor, $240 with a sensor and front facing camera, but was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion for a different, better, or more practical product.

I'm also considering trying to setup a backup camera to help keep watch over my tail pipes when backing up (into curbs). I have the standard command unit that is standard on a 2006 '55 (the 2.0 I think) but only find threads with folks setting up a backup camera with the 2.5. Will a backup camera work with a 2.0? What is involved?

It sure looks good, but I suppose this is the downside of a lowered SLK. Any help, suggestions, or arrow pointing would sure be appreciated.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK55 AMG
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yup, I found Curb alert on search.

I contacted them direct and the r172 guys get the camera interface front and rear. Anything prior to 2012 can use the front curb alert with their audible beeping warning, but no telematics interface.

That still looks like a solid product that will do the job and give me an extra hundred bucks to drop on something else (like gas to get up and back to the vineyard next month).

I also saw that SoCalBeachRunner has done a lot of work with the NTG1 including full integration of the display here,

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/10092-smartphone-integration-comand-ntg1-4.html

but I still have like 100 posts left to read...

Cant commit to heading up to the meet up yet but it's sure on the radar.:wink:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Well SoCalBeachRunner signed up so you can meet him face to face!!!!
and he needs to ride shotgun with someone!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.