Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing the cubby I have on my car with the cup holders, I know it's in a silly position but I've got a few long drives to do and think think I'll survive without some liquid refreshment.

The best price I've been able to find online seems a bit crazy £150!) so was wondering if anyone either knew anywhere to get it cheaper or wanted to sell my me theirs if they removed it.

Cheers

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,683 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Have you actually priced them from Merc? Only about £70 I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, that might be an idea. I'm going to visit then anyway in the next couple of weeks so will ask then. Although reading that thread above I'm having second thoughts, I thought the risk was of spilling drinks, didn't think of condensation, etc.

·
93,683 Posts
There are other cup holder solutions

use 'search' on our forum

:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing the cubby I have on my car with the cup holders, I know it's in a silly position but I've got a few long drives to do and think think I'll survive without some liquid refreshment.

The best price I've been able to find online seems a bit crazy £150!) so was wondering if anyone either knew anywhere to get it cheaper or wanted to sell my me theirs if they removed it.

Cheers
Would it not be much cheaper just to pull over and then have a drink ?
And save circa £150.00 and spillage that could ruin your dash / electronics ?

·
Registered
606 Posts
You should be getting the message by now.....don't do it! >:D

When I removed ours, I was shocked by the spillage from the previous owner on the Comand system. I turned it into a cubby using a 'how to' on here :nerd:

You'll not find many on here who would advocate returning that cubby to a cup holder :wink:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I traded my cupholders for a cubby, very happy with it. Did not want to have to replace my electronics. Besides, the cups when they are in the cupholder block the airflow from the air vents. And if they're big cups, they actually will block the view through the windshield. I like to drive my car, not make it into my living room.

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I guess there may be another member out there somewhere that has cup holders that would prefer the cubby... if so, perhaps you/they could arrange a swap?

Although you'll need to get to 15 posts before you can send PMs to anyone other than moderators - Perhaps you should go and welcome 11 new members (as many people welcomed you) in the New Members Introduce Yourselves Here thread, just in case someone wants to contact you via PM.

Also, IF you do decide to install the cupholders, please only use a sealed and insulated cup for holding drinks. I rarely use my cup holders, but when I do, I only ever use it with one of these:
Contigo Autoseal West Loop Stainless Steel Travel Mug, 470 ml - Stainless Steel (other colours/finishes are available).

It's a snug fit in the OEM cup holders, so won't fall out, and the autoseal feature works perfectly - liquid only comes out when you press the button on the side (even holding it upside down doesn't drip, if you don't press the button).

·
Registered
31 Posts
In Texas, we like our cars small but our women and drinks........BIG!
So when traveling with a Super Big Gulp, use one of these super cheap drink holders. Walmart has them for $2.00

You open your glove box, place the hook end over the glove box door and close it. (I place mine in the corner near the drivers side).

PS- super cheap price is a nice benefit!

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
In Texas, we like our cars small but our women and drinks........BIG!
So when traveling with a Super Big Gulp, use one of these super cheap drink holders. Walmart has them for $2.00

You open your glove box, place the hook end over the glove box door and close it. (I place mine in the corner near the drivers side).

PS- super cheap price is a nice benefit!
I like this idea as far as price point, women and drinks, but be careful about the weight and torque you are putting on the GB door's small clasp that gets near constant vibration. You may get stuck having to use the folded down "picnic" cup holder instead.

Happened in my Chevy, just saying.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
the only things that ever go in my cup holders are mcdonalds cups or the extra large pepsi or coke cans and they seem to hold very well,..never had any worries about spillage even when pulling some pretty good speeds..

·
93,683 Posts
I have cupholders I'll sell you cheap. Just name your price, plus shipping of course!
if you are 'talking' to Mrmg, he is in Europe and it will cost him about $90 to ship from you to him
He can buy them from MB less for that price :D
@mrmg

·
93,683 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
If anyone has the center console cup holder in the US they'd be willing to part with, let me know. I know it's highly recommended not to use it, I'm just trying to fix or replace everything to like new or close to like new.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts