Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the one next to the ash tray that I'm having problems with. All the threads I can find say it just pulls/pushes out. But I think they have all removed the assembly with ash tray first. I assumed credit cards top and bottom would free whatever catches there are, but no. If anyone has the secret I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll just have to pull the whole panel, which will probably take me much less time than I've already spent.馃槵

Founding Member 2006
I took out the tray/drinks holder (thin screwdriver under the two guides and lift the tray over the clip on both sides and gently slide the tray out. I also 'cheated'. As mine is an automatic, I got the car into D (without starting the engine)

As it turns out, it literally just pops out.

After some pushing and pulling I looked all around it and couldn't see what was connecting it (the storage compartment) to the ashtray.. so I gave it a pull and hey presto, it popped out.

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh...... Well yes the drinks tray is easy. I've got mine in D and the cover plate over the shifter is also off but pull as I might there is no movement. I'll give it another go tomorrow. I'll update as and when......... Thanks Jeff.

Founding Member 2006
those were all responses on the ashtray cubby from a search :D

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jbanks15 , I thought they sounded familiar. But pop out it does not, not does it move at all. There is also a Youtube video, which actually missed out the crucial step after he had removed the whole panel from drinks tray to switches. I'll sort it tomorrow.

*Registered
1998 SLK230
@Rofa

Myk is correct pull is the only thing you need to do in general. Shake and twist might help too!

Few if's and maybe's need to be considered for sure!
Who was using glue when it became loose, noisy?
If we are looking at the same cubby (orange square thing) on the attached 1.png, I am positive in 1998 is attached only via the yellow screw positioned under the facial panel - 2.png. To the central console (soaked in the tub at that time).
First time was very scary and I honestly had the ugly idea in my mind "...I will break it like that..."
After that I used some Up and Down force not only "pull it" force.
Yours being 1997, I don't think will be with extra holding, assembly...whatever.
There is a pic for you with the frame ( quality is good as the seller wants to sell it :) but I have nothing to do with it) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/ef/fc/d1effcb68020183a0f4f1434e5f61afa.jpg and visible only the 2 holes for the screws.

If you wanna follow up the video you mentioned, disconnecting the facial (2.png upper part) will give you some space to reach with one hand and push from the bottom of it, using the other to pull, could be less scary.
Take a look again and feel free to ask if anything is still unclear.
O

Attachments

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yep, that's the one. Maybe someone has glued it in. There is no movement at all. I can get prys in but can't use any force. Some grip at the bottom with the shifter cover off. I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull the whole unit out to do it or least get the top panel off so I can get my hands on from the top. Many thanks!

*Registered
1998 SLK230
I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull the whole unit out to do it or least get the top panel off so I can get my hands on from the top. Many thanks!
Look at this 2001 SLK R170 ashtray storage compartment - Replacement the video is very good and informative, Minute 2.45 and after is the one that you need. The A/C-temp-fan control doesn't need to go out.
No more than Facial panel and attention :)

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I'd seen that. Thanks anyway. Just got to find time to do it. Can't wait to find what's holding the thing in!!!:oops:

*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
In the absence of good documentation, I find it useful to look at a part that is already removed to see how it is retained.

if you zoom in on pics 1 and 4 in this ebay listing, you can see that the assembly is retained by 4 screws and the cubby appears to snap into that (and you get a good view of how those snaps work). MERCEDES SLK R170 _ CENTER DASH STORAGE COIN HOLDER ASHTRAY METAL FIBER | eBay

HTH,
Chris

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris, I'd done that with a different unit on Ebay. Hence my choice of credit cards. "Your" unit has much better pictures and I suspect my credit cards were just no long enough. I've decided to pull the whole lot out anyway and I'll report back as and when. Many thanks.

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
My cash is on spilled drink at some point in the cars life, which is much better than superglue when it comes to holding plastic parts together ;)

It sets like concrete and then years later, when one comes to remove a plastic clip in part it makes life extremely difficult ;)

If you take off the Heater Vent in the footwell you may be able to get your hand or a piece of wood up there to give it a firm push from behind ;)

*Premium Member
1997 SLK230K
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So it just needs a firm push from the back, most easily accessed by taking the main panel off. The cubby is held in by 4 sharks fins, two top and bottom. I'm bringing power in through the back and the hole I've made 20210722_164818.jpg
at the back will enable me to hook it out fairly easily in the future.

PS I should amend that What I have pulled out is the cubby and it's mounting frame. How the two separate I don't know and I don't need to find out. I did see somewhere a photo with a piece of Mercedes electronics in place of the cubby so it makes sense to have a separate frame. So the sharks fins are on the frame of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts