Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im a new SLk owner and it's my first automatic transmission car.
I have a simple question for any other drivers:
Is it normal for there to be no engine braking during normal driving and for the car to pull away as soon as I take my foot off the brake with no throttle being applied?
I assumed that an automatic would remain stationary with the transmission set to "drive" while running at tickover.
is my car normal?
thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've noticed something similar with my SLK that I've never really experienced with any other automatic. After coming to a complete stop, I have always let up slightly on the brake pressure. Never been a problem before as other cars would stay put. With the SLK though, it sometimes feels like someone just tapped the ass end of my car. I've actually looked in the rear view mirror several times to see if someone did because the car tends to want to lunge forward if you let up on the brake a bit.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
Slipshod,

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member #12/Moderator

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,411 Posts
slk 55s have engine braking, and it is normal for car to want to creep forward but not alot

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London via Tyumen, and congrats on your new toy!

As Jeff suggests, it's important to update your profile, as different cars react in different ways!

In general, the 7g transmission in the SLK55 AMG does provide engine braking, but its a bit hard to predict, as - like the shift points - it's adaptive based on driving style..

Most auto's - unless they are very new - are going to move forward when you release the brake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most automatics "creep" when idling. I suppose it's a consequence of the hydraulic clutch/torque converter.

I can't say I'm a fan of this. I had one of the "clutchless manual" transmissions that didn't creep - I liked it: the smallest touch on the throttle would just inch the car forward nicely. I was very surprised when I tried one of the twin-clutch "DSG" VWs - which I expected to be fully disengaged at idle. But no, it had the creep built in - so you'd sit at the lights with the primary clutch constantly dragging. Not nice.

Autos tend to change up to a higher gear on low throttle. Mine will often be in the 1000 to 1300 rev range, which is not how I'd drive a manual. So there's a lot less engine braking, as it's barely above idle. Change down with the stick or the steering wheel buttons and you'll get more retardation. Brake pad wear can be higher on autos.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Every auto I have owned ( A lot) creep forward on tickover. Some more that others. I find my SLK will creep on the flat but not on a slope and never rolls back as some autos I have had have done. Dont be tempted to put it into Neutral Its better for it to remain in drive and hold it on the brake when in traffic etc

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts