Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The door supports on my 2002 SLK creak. I am not speaking of the hinges but the 1" wide flat door support. I have tried products like WD-40 and dry lubes but those products aggravate the situation, yep, lubes cause the creakiness to become more pronounced(louder, if Jeff is reading this). Has anyone had this issue and if so did you resolve it and if you have how? It's aggravating to have a nice car, no peeling paint around the hinges or the inner door area and that annoying creak. Reminds me of my hips in the morning. I scream at both occasions:)

·
* Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,611 Posts
Have you tried lithium grease in the spray can? Loosen/tighten, or re tighten bolts, screws?

Mine don't creak!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
106,116 Posts
wd-40 is not a lubricant but a solvent. As my friends said, use lithium grease.

·
106,116 Posts
whatever. you don't ever want a solvent, period.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. How about a link to thee correct part. A google search did not help with finding the correct part nor how to change it. Thanks, Mark

·
106,116 Posts
50 door check

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
As said, check arm (strap) they do wear out & WD40 is a big nono!
Grease works for a bit, but they wear out so if they're not expensive, replace em :wink:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As said, check arm (strap) they do wear out & WD40 is a big nono!
Grease works for a bit, but they wear out so if they're not expensive, replace em :wink:
You're right. And(starting a sentence with a preposition is a no-no) Jeff provided the pic I found after a more aggressive seach. The "strap" was the answer. $45. seems to be the average cost. I found out that if that part gives way the dore could get caught open or not stay closed. Ordering today. I believe they are the same part for right and left but want to confirm that as one fellow has one on Ebay and is calling it a "right".
With performance mods coming upon completion it's time to spruce it up a bit. Thanks all, Mark

·
106,116 Posts
same part number left or right

50** A 170 720 01 16** DOOR CHECK DOOR CHECK
LEFT**
001** ***
50** A 170 720 01 16** DOOR CHECK DOOR CHECK
RIGHT**
001**

·
* Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,611 Posts
Just love all the help in this place. Hope I don't need any.......but I bet........I will!!!!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
There are 2 types, the ones that bolt inside the A post & the other that fits inside the door (outwards)

I have not checked, but pray it's the A post type, cos the other type are a mare to fit.

Had to do a set on a 206cc & it took ages with lots of lost knuckle skin!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all, ordered yesterday when I confirmed there was not a right and left as the guy on ebay has his listed as a "Right". THX, Leapyfish for the links to the panel removal. Always dislike taking them off, never seem to seat properly again, surely a Mercedes will be different0:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.