Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several references to this on this forum. Today I took a few minutes and applied Honda Shin Etsu to the seals on the roof of our SLK 230. I've used Shin Etsu for years on all my cars to prevent the seals from freezing to the car in the winter. It works great.

Well it worked just as well for this issue. Completely silent now after just a few minutes with a tube of Shin Etsu and a paper towel. Fantastic result.

I've always applied the grease once a year on a nice weekend in the fall and have never had a problem. It also fixed the minor leaks in the T Tops on our MR2. It's good stuff. I'm sure there are other similar products but the Honda Shin Etsu can be had on ebay for about $15 with shipping. For that money and my experience with it, I've never felt the need to find anything else.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure they're very similar. Not sure if that's cheaper, though. That tube of Shin Etsu will last you a really long time.

·
96,648 Posts
oh yeah? my gummi is going on 10 years! so there!

(you're turn)!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah? my gummi is going on 10 years! so there!

(you're turn)!!
Actually, I did some checking- they're not at all the same thing. The Honda Shin Etsu is just silicone grease, which I knew, but that Gummi stuff is some kind of water based chemical compound. Interesting! I'm going to have to get some so I can compare.

My wife and I just got back from running errands in the car and it was weird how much quieter it was. We had kind of gotten used to the creaking. It never really bothered me, but it's so much nicer without it.

·
96,648 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can vouch for the effectiveness of Gummi Pflege; but my foam applicator ripped off the bottle and I kinda just use a rag to dab once I apply the Gummi - sigh!:(

But it still works great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sv: Creaking roof - very easy fix

I need some tips about my roof. When i put it down or up there is a Creaking sound from the "Hard parts" (dont know how to explain it im english) that "pushes" the roof up. Im wondering if there is something that need to be greased?

Tim

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
92 Posts
BIG thumbs up for Gummi from me! One of the reasons the previous owner of my 320 sold it was because of the creaking roof, he couldn't put up with the noise during winter when travelling on our rubbish, pot holed roads here in UK! After looking into the problem, I went for the cheapest solution first and after spending a whole £6 ($9 US) on eBay I set about putting Gummi Pflege on all my seals. WOW, what a difference! Not a single sound from my roof anymore! I am well happy with myself, not sure if I should tell the previous owner though! Thanks to this forum too!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Didn't believe Gummiphleging rubber seals would solve all those creaks and groans from the roof until I tried it - brilliant stuff !! - no noise at all now. What a simple and non expensive fix !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Forgot to say, I Gummied all the door seals too... luckily. At the weekend there was a big freeze here in UK with snow/thaw/freeze overnight. After work in the morning (nightshift), we all got in our cars and most people's doors were frozen shut.... except for mine.... thanks again to Gummi!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I need some tips about my roof. When i put it down or up there is a Creaking sound from the "Hard parts" (dont know how to explain it im english) that "pushes" the roof up. Im wondering if there is something that need to be greased?

Tim

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2
Use lithium grease spray on all the hinges and rotating parts. Gummi on the black rubber seals. This fixed the roof/creaking noise for me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Use lithium grease spray on all the hinges and rotating parts. Gummi on the black rubber seals. This fixed the roof/creaking noise for me!
Thank you!

I've been waiting for an answer for a while now hehe.

So theese should do it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LITHIUM-BASED-MULTI-PURPOSE-GREASE-car-bearing-engineering-lubricant-NEW-/281079822373?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item4171a9b825
For the hardparts and hinges

and this for the rubber seals
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251012012128?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
96,648 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.