Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One in seven insurance claims in the UK are a crash for cash scam its been announced. More reason for a windscreen cam

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
13,785 Posts
This was interesting Jon, I looked up Florida's cash for crash stats and I wasn't surprised to find out that we lead the nation in this type of fraud.

NICB investigations in Florida, New York and California uncovered sophisticated, multistate rings that included the staged accident participants as well as doctors, chiropractors, lawyers and even body shop owners that profited from the car insurance scam

Avoiding a staged accident
Here are six tips from the NICB on how to avoid becoming a victim of a staged accident:
  • Avoid tailgating. Recognize the "swoop and squat" scenario in which a driver suddenly swoops in front of you then slams on his or her brakes, and leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you just in case the driver slams on his brakes.
  • Call the cops even if damage is minimal. A police report makes it harder for a stager to intentionally damage his or her car later in order to collect a larger claim against your car insurance company.
  • Grab a camera or use your cell phone to photograph everything and everyone at the scene. Pay special attention to the number of people in the other car and the damage to both cars.
  • Be wary of passers-by who just happen to arrive on the scene, especially if they offer to direct you to a doctor, lawyer or tow-truck company. They may be part of the scam.
  • Steer clear of tow-truck drivers that you did not summon. They are often part of this car insurance scam.
  • Be wary of doctors who insist that you file a personal injury claim following an accident, especially if you are not hurt.
If you suspect that you've been a victim of or witness to a staged accident, you can report it anonymously through the NICB website, or by calling the toll-free number (800)835-6422 or by texting your information to TIP411, keyword "FRAUD."

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/insurance/6-tips-for-avoiding-a-staged-accident-1.aspx#ixzz2Kyf50PgZ

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calling the police in the UK unless someone has been injured is likely to result in no response. The other advice is sound and these days with phone cameras that also take video as well it is important to photograph or video everything. A windscreen is so cheap these days its silly not to have one.

I have drummed it into my daughter and also never stop for anything as there have been case of women being attacked after stopping when waved down. She was driving home a week or so ago and there was a large tree branch lying across the road. She was able to drive around it and just up the road was a pull in with a van parked. So being well trained she drove on for a mile or two before stopping and reporting the branch to the police. Treat every incident on the road with suspiscion and you cant go wrong.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not just the scam situation its also who was to blame in a genuine accident Like when someone turns across you as your overtaking with a signal etc Or a truck that reverses into you etc etc Its amazing how they change their story when they find out its all on cam as borne out by just that happening to a chap in a store entrance where a delivery truck took the wrong entrance and backed up into a car. It was "You ran into me". Untill the camera was pointed out :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw on the news today that three men have been sentenced for causing the death of a completely innocent woman in one of these scams. Utterly sickening.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pity they wernt sentenced to death in my opinion. We have to pay to keep them in one of our comfy prisons

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pity they wernt sentenced to death in my opinion. We have to pay to keep them in one of our comfy prisons
Have to say I totally agree. It's tragic enough when somebody dies in a car accident, but for a completely innocent woman to die because somebody has decided to cause an accident to make a fake claim is just beyond disgust and comprehension.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately a crash cam wouldnt have saved her but the more people use them the more these scammers may decide its not worth doing it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts