Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI . . . had my crank position sensor go bad on me late last afternoon when I was about 100 miles from home. The car just died while I was waiting for a light after I had already driven it 80 miles. (And 180 that morning, 108k on the car.)

I had very little warning on this. A few days ago when I was working on my head liner; I had had the car idling for a while on a warm day and a low tank of gas. It died on me then. (I did get a flash of a check engine light at that time.)

It would crank well, but not re-light. I thought/hoped it was a vapor lock problem, and waited over night to let things cool and try again. Next morning, it started right up, no error lights or anything . . . I watched for any issues over the next few days and had none, so I felt ok to drive it about 180 miles away on a business trip. Drove the 180 up, no problems, and got almost halfway home when I hit a bit of a jam up at a light and that's where the car died! I waited a little bit, it would crank, but wouldn't restart.

Luckily I had just passed a small import shop, so I went the 1/4 mile back, and after a bit of discussion (this was in near rural NC, I didn't have a lot of other options) I decided to let them look at it. After getting the tow/lift, the shop pulled the codes (P0335) for a CP sensor failure. But it would only fail when it was hot! (Or hot enough, like when sitting in traffic!)

I was very lucky that at 4:30 PM they found a new part in stock at a local parts store and got it installed. Failure to fixed was about 2.5 hours!

I give very high marks to the folks at Taylor’s Sport-N-Import in Mooresville just outside Charlotte NC. Cost; about $80 for the tow, (which for a 1/4 mile seemed high, but then the tow guy got there in 10-15 minutes which allowed the rest of the repair to happen) $85 to read the codes/advise, $125 for the part, $100 to install it . . . (It was a time bomb waiting to go off, and I would have had to get it fixed anyway.) They really did a great job for me and for reasonably price! I would have had to spend the night in Mooresville otherwise . . . though there are certainly a lot worse places to be stranded.

:Beer:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,350 Posts
Happy to hear you got back on the road very quick. The 85 for reading codes I think you should have gotten credit for that if they did the repair.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,699 Posts
I think I'm moving to Mooresville... that's a major win, hats off to Sport-N-Import. Breaking down away from home, not knowing anybody... and then drive home 2.5 hours later for <$500... I hope you had a good meal while you were there. You can't get a tow truck to even stop for you any more for less than $75 (we have a lot of old cars in the driveway I know first hand)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy to hear you got back on the road very quick. The 85 for reading codes I think you should have gotten credit for that if they did the repair.
I've argued that at times when I had my Ford . . . even when the Ford dealer gave me the wrong diagnosis - they felt it was for their time spent. ($40-$50/hr + overhead on the equipment.) The other side of the coin though would be that they could spend $40/hour ($60 at the dealer ?) poking around and still not get it right. (Particularly with some of the electronic issues.)

Perhaps if I lived in the area and could have been a return customer I might have gotten a bit more of a break. The alternative would have been for me to stay over, and/or ferry myself or the car back and forth 100 miles. So, all in all, the down side was that I could have come out a lot worse, compared to saving an additional $50-$100. (And it's just tough to have had a lot of options in a circumstance like that.)

Since TSnI's price for the part was pretty close to what MyMercedesParts would have charged, (compared to my local dealer who typically charges 30-40% more) I wasn't willing to quibble too much.

Obviously luck had much more to do with my final "get away" cost than anything else. (Hotel room and meals.)

Unless I were to find out something really negative, I think of it like this; if I could make any choice, would I take my current service folks (a well know dealer here in Columbia) or TSnI? I would certainly give TSnI the next chance. (The distance would just make no sense though.)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Problems are ALWAYS a pain, but this ended-up being relatively minor, and kudos to Taylor's!

Doesn't your insurance have "Roadside Assistance"? It's included(meaning not paying extra) in my policy(21st Century) and covers up to $75... but up to $100 in NC!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts