Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 350 last week, it was a CPO'd car which I was lead to believe it meant the car was as good as new in showroom condition just with mileage.
After a couple of days driving I have found several problems with the car which I would have though would have been rectified in the CPO procedure. I'm confident the dealership will fix the problems, my question is what should I really expect with a CPO'd vehicle ?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I bought my 350 last week, it was a CPO'd car which I was lead to believe it meant the car was as good as new in showroom condition just with mileage.
After a couple of days driving I have found several problems with the car which I would have though would have been rectified in the CPO procedure. I'm confident the dealership will fix the problems, my question is what should I really expect with a CPO'd vehicle ?
I've had two, and both had minor problems that were taken care of by the dealers. It's just like anything else, the dealers check them out, but it's not like they then go drive the car for a couple of days. In the US, I suspect most are lease returns.

What kind of problems did you find? In the case of my SLK, one of the roof seals had to be replaced.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Mine is CPO'd as well. I got the call about the car BEFORE they started the process, and actually got to go over it with them. I've been very happy, but I'm sure there are undiscovered problems with the car. Best thing about the CPO, it's under warranty and they'll fix it when I find them. It cost more, but I figured it would be cheaper in the long term to pay for CPO and NOT have to pay for every little thing that breaks in the next couple of years. But I have a good local dealer and I know that some folks on here hate their local dealer, so in that case I'd say I would have gone for a cheaper car and "self insured".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2006 CPO SLK350 I bought in December. The day after picking it up, I noticed a vibration on the highway I hadn't felt on the test drive. They took the car back and found that one of the wheels was out of round, and repaired it under warrantee with zero hassle or problems.

No used car will ever be perfect (and cars are just objects, anyway--perfection is unattainable!), but you should expect them to fix anything that it wrong with it, even if you didn't notice it right away and assuming you didn't cause the problem yourself. I doubt this covers things like wear on the leather seats or paint chips, but everything mechanical should be good as new. I assume they set the cars up with new brake pads (anyone know this for sure?), and mine came with new tires all round.

This is why I prefer used cars, because I'm just too upset when something goes wrong for the first time in a new car--the inevitable rock on the highway chipping the paint, or wheel rash, or door ding that nobody else can see but you KNOW is there. This way, somebody else goes through that pain and I get to accept that my car will always be "imperfect", even if I don't see it right away.

BTW, the same applies to my relationship with my wife :).

Enjoy the car!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Welcome to the forum, EnBee! Nice job on the profile! Usually we have to nag members to fill it out...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome EnBee

BTW, the same applies to my relationship with my wife :).

Enjoy the car!
Welcome EnBee.

I am not sure about the analogy. Wife is always number 1 :), vehicles are vehicles although they may attract our attention and care sometimes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is why I prefer used cars, because I'm just too upset when something goes wrong for the first time in a new car--the inevitable rock on the highway chipping the paint, or wheel rash, or door ding that nobody else can see but you KNOW is there. This way, somebody else goes through that pain and I get to accept that my car will always be "imperfect", even if I don't see it right away.
It's a little bit the other way around for me. I have always preferred the "freshness" of a new car over wondering what problem from the previous owner I didn't catch at first might crop up.

But...this time around, the dealer showed me a CPO car that was sooooo much cheaper than new (and it had incredibly low mileage) that it was literally an offer I couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda agree with you EnBee, and welcome to the forum by the way. I didn't expect perfection and chips and dings are inevitable in a 3 year old vehicle. My only gripe was that the sales man had told me that the car will be in 'showroom condition'. When I saw what was in their showroom and the condition the pre-owned vehicles were in you can imagine, I was more than pleased. Not so much when I picked the car up. One other main issue was that it was advertised on their website as having the AMG sport package option, 5 spoke wheels, side skirts, sculpted front and rear bumper and sport suspension. This I liked but when I picked it up, no AMG package :confused:. My sales man blamed the 'IT' guy but isn't this misrepresentation ? I took the car back yesterday and they looked over it and told me to bring the car back next week to fix, they are going to call me on Tuesday to let me know what they will fix and what they will leave.
For me, this will determine if they are a good dealership or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One other main issue was that it was advertised on their website as having the AMG sport package option, 5 spoke wheels, side skirts, sculpted front and rear bumper and sport suspension. This I liked but when I picked it up, no AMG package :confused:.
Well, that sounds like borderline fraud, which is a different issue entirely. You paid for the sport package, and did not get it. I would be somewhere between annoyed and calling a lawyer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am seriously considering speaking to my lawyer, pending the outcome of whatever they are going to do this week.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I bought my car CPO in March 08 and have had endless problems with it. Everything, as far as I can tell, is now fixed under warranty.

From my experience, the MB dealers are very good at making you happy within reason. They'll listen to your problems and try to find and fix them. They can be really tenacious probably since they can't bill MBUSA unless they find the problem. I've had worse warranty experiences with my previous BMW, Audi and current Infiniti.

I believe the car was in a low speed fontal collusion before I bought it. After I got it home for a couple weeks, I found that the bumper was repaired/repainted and a fog light replaced.

I noticed the headlights were way out of alignment, and discovered that the headlight mounts were broken and it caused the alignment to be off. They were replaced under warranty along with a broken rear view mirror.

Last summer, my battery and something that controls alternator died while parked at home. It was towed in and fixed under warranty (towing company charged them over $300 just for the 12 mile tow).

The top had a lot of squeaks and rattles. One time a plastic guide piece broke off and it tried to close incorrectly. Fixed under warranty.

Another time I noticed water leak into the trunk / musty smell. Replaced a bunch of seals in the trunk. My center glove box was hard to open, replaced. My bluetooth speakerphone sound quality was bad and they discovered that the car was missing the correct microphone, also fixed under warranty.

The iPod volume on my ipod connector was low compared to other sources so they replaced the entire ipod controller with a new version.

The passenger side heated seat cushion was not warming up (only the back portion) so they replaced the seat bottom with a new one. That took over a week to get sorted out since they ordered the wrong part.

It was getting to the point where I would keep a list of problems and schedule appointments when I needed to get a 4 seat car, for out of town guests, etc. I still like the car and I finally feel like everything is sorted out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This makes me feel a bit better Tummy. I hope my dealership is as accomodating as yours.
I feel like I am complaining before giving them a chance to put everything right.
Even with these thing bothering me this car still rocks:biglaugh:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I never bought a CPO car, although there are very atracctive prices in this type of deals thats for sure. I wish you luck with thouse minor problems that you´ve experienced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.