Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from my trip to Carlisle for my "speed awareness course" late last night. Just over 500 miles. Stopped off in Kilmarnock overnight on Thursday to visit my daughter and grand daughter, wee Mabel (not so wee anymore), then had the top down yesterday from there to Carlisle. Magic! :)

The course itself took 4 hours and was attended by about 30 people 18 - 65, men and women. The "lecturers" did a good job of presenting the course, with a mixture of anecdotes and slides, but I learnt nothing new, apart from maybe changing where I am focussing on the road when looking for approaching hazards. I tend, like most people apparently, to look slightly to the centre and right when viewing the road ahead, and don't give enough attention to the left side. Pretty obvious really. I didn't see the camera that got me! On the bright side I didn't get any points on my license, and don't have to declare the course to my insurance company.

Suitably chastised, I headed home at a sedate 60/70mph, which was just as well, as I passed a couple of traffic cars at the roadside. :)

As an interesting aside, the presenters, when questioned, took the stance that we should be lowering speed limits on motorways etc., and thought the proposed average speed cameras that are going to be placed on the A9 between Perth and Inverness (every 3 1/2 miles for 87 out of 110 miles) where a great contribution to making it a safer route. :(

I think that we're going to go back to the days of the red flag acts. :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
- and don't have to declare the course to my insurance company.

(
Davie - you sure about that?? I worked for Aviva (and legacy companies) for 36 years and as far as I am aware you need to disclose what are regarded as 'material facts'. Hopefully when disclosing they just note it and don't take any action regarding loading premium etc.

I wouldn't want to be in the situation where I had a bad accident and then had the insurers thinking about voiding my policy on the grounds of non disclosure.

Why not ring your insurer anonymously and ask them first what action they take in these circumstances - you might be surprised.

Good Luck

Steve

P.S. - 500 miles an overnight stay plus course costs and lost time - makes you wonder if 3pts and the fine would be cheaper.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
At least, it is done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts