Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week I have rebuilt or helped rebuild four of the front locking roof cylinders. Of the four cars we did, all still had their original seals and only one of them, the 1999, had a seal that was at all cracked and none were leaking. The '99 may have been getting close to springing a leak, but the '01, '02 and '03 that we did all looked good. That made me think that the other four cylinders could wait awhile, maybe a long while. Since none of them cause collateral damage like the front one does to the headliner, I see no real need to rush into the job.

The other thing to note is that we could not figure out any easy way to remove the wire clip holding the actuator together without drilling a hole in the actuator. It just saves a lot of time and effort to just grab your drill and go at it.

Give yourself a couple of hours to do the job. It's definitely a DIY operation.

Thanks to the instructions supplied with the kit and the good tips given here by others, the jobs went reasonably smoothly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
...The other thing to note is that we could not figure out any easy way to remove the wire clip holding the actuator together without drilling a hole in the actuator. It just saves a lot of time and effort to just grab your drill and go at it....
If I had have done this initially it would have saved me at least an hour. Good advice.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I didn't bother too =D Just grabbed that drill and the ring was out in a matter of minutes. :tu:
Another thing is that the 2 top cylinders are easy to access too. But the other 2 in the trunk seem to be a bit of a pain... I didn't mess with any of the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my plan initially was to do more than just the front locking cylinder. Then once I had done it and saw that the original seal was still in very nice shape, I figured that the other four cylinders could wait. If the original seal had been as bad as some photos of others I'd seen, I may have gone on to do the others.

Speaking of the trunk cylinders, I got this info from Marty about his recommendation for rebuilding them:

I do have a guy who specializes in rebuilding those trunk lid actuators now. Robert Murphree in Tampa, FL. 813-873-9816

Reactions: JaysonM
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.