Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Could have been worse ..

591 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  i860 
#1 ·
I was jacking up the front of the 171 using a trolley jack on the centre jacking point, with axle stands lined up under the front sills, when the jack collapsed sideways. One stand went through the outer sill cover, the other through the long underbody cover. A pool of liquid ran out from under the washer bottle area.

Looked expensive, but after I dragged one stand out of the split in the outer sill it recovered its shape, the underbody cover wasn't quite so lucky. The top of that axle stand stand was nowhere near the washer bottle, just poking harmlessly into a void. The liquid was just rainwater pooled in the undercover.

More to the point I suppose was my good luck that I wasn't underneath the car. Looking closely at the trolley jack the pivots were all a bit sloppy, I hadn't lubed the thing for ages, so I gave myself a kick up the backside, binned it & bought another one from Halfords with a wider base and which will be looked after a lot better. I'll probably line up the jack sideways rather than lengthways to the car as well in future.

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.