Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - i am brand new to the site which i discovered while trying to get some info about my 08 SLK 200.

There are a couple of issues you will all probably have a quick answer to...

1. the individual controls for the heating vents - should they be illuminated when the lights are on? if the stereo is off, the only thing illuminated is the 'on' button and the temperature settings etc, the actual wheels for opening and closing the vents are NOT illuminated so are very difficut to see in the dark! Mercedes say although lots of other models have the same controls, only certain ones have them illuminated!

2. i have what seems to be a door seal problem on the drivers side when it rains with constant dripping. The passenger door does not do this. I can also hear the wind getting in? Mercedes said they have done a water test and can find nothing but 'after all it is a convertible and the water has no where to go'!!!

Could any one advise me please??

And can i just say thank you in advance x

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hi Everyone - i am brand new to the site which i discovered while trying to get some info about my 08 SLK 200.

There are a couple of issues you will all probably have a quick answer to...

1. the individual controls for the heating vents - should they be illuminated when the lights are on? if the stereo is off, the only thing illuminated is the 'on' button and the temperature settings etc, the actual wheels for opening and closing the vents are NOT illuminated so are very difficut to see in the dark! Mercedes say although lots of other models have the same controls, only certain ones have them illuminated!
You have the four dials, correct? Not sure, I've got the Digital control, and the buttons/controls do light up. Hopefully one of the folks with an analogue setup can give more info!

2. i have what seems to be a door seal problem on the drivers side when it rains with constant dripping. The passenger door does not do this. I can also hear the wind getting in? Mercedes said they have done a water test and can find nothing but 'after all it is a convertible and the water has no where to go'!!!
Odd, I've got two, neither leak. Ask them if the $133k SL sitting on their lot leaks as well - after all, it's a convertible?!?!?!

I'd try normalizing the windows as a first step - roll the window all the way down, holding the button all the way down past the detent. After the window is all the way down, continue holding the button down for about three seconds. Then push the window button all the way "up", past the detent, and again after the window reaches the top, continue holding it for about three seconds..

Seriously - your car should not leak - I've one in London and one in Louisiana - neither particularly dry places!

Could any one advise me please??

And can i just say thank you in advance x
Welcome to the forum! ;-)

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Individual controls for the heating vents: do you mean the little wheel near each vent that controls the airflow from off to partially open to all-the-way open?

I haven't paid attention but will check later tonight:

1. If the wheels that control the airflow from the vents are illuminated or not when the headlamps are turned on.

2. If the dials on the analogue HVAC controls are illuminated or lit when the headlamps are turned on.

If the stereo (COMAND) is OFF, then only the PWR button is illuminated.

BTW, welcome.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Cheryl,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.......

·
19,407 Posts
Update

Individual controls for the heating vents: do you mean the little wheel near each vent that controls the airflow from off to partially open to all-the-way open?

I haven't paid attention but will check later tonight:

1. If the wheels that control the airflow from the vents are illuminated or not when the headlamps are turned on.

2. If the dials on the analogue HVAC controls are illuminated or lit when the headlamps are turned on.

If the stereo (COMAND) is OFF, then only the PWR button is illuminated.

BTW, welcome.

Checked last night: the dials on the analogue HVAC will be lit when the headlamps are turned on.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Welcome Cheryl and Hi from Newcastle!, maybe we could organise a meet for everyone in the North!, hope you get those bits sorted, not got my slk yet!, hopefully this weekend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

Hi All

had a little bit of a break through with MB - they have now said they think they know where the water is coming in but unfortunatley, the heating controls on the individual vents on the dash do not light up - apparently there are no wiring or bulbs there!!

Slk 200 is one of the models which have these controls but were never meant to be illuminated!

Thanks for all of your comments x

·
19,407 Posts
.....the heating controls on the individual vents on the dash do not light up - apparently there are no wiring or bulbs there!!

Slk 200 is one of the models which have these controls but were never meant to be illuminated!

Thanks for all of your comments x
Just checked: the individual thumb wheels that control the vents are not illuminated. Only the dials on the HVAC control panel at the center console.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from NW Blighty... :)

We/I have a 2008 SLK200 with analogue heating controls. I've just checked too and the thumbwheels on the vents are not illuminated. The four controls on the main heat/vent panel are illuminated.....

No way it should leak. Ours lives on the drive and hasn't leaked in the two-years we've had it.

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts