Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had a quote from a firm in Salisbury to replace the front wings on Silkie.

Both wings to be replaced, all the necessary painting and sealing underneath. All new clips and seals ... Looks a thorough job. Cost??

£1000 labour
£500 materials
£470 parts

And VAT.

OUCH! is all I can say.

So looks like I'm getting another quote, too. And I would need to know what effect this may have on the value of the car.

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320/2001 SLK320
66 Posts
Get a couple of primed wings on ebay. £400ish. Then get them sprayed to match your car. £500ish.

·
Registered 1997 SLK230 Kompressor
217 Posts
Or buy them pre sprayed/colour matched on ebay. Fitting looks easy in principle at least;)

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
I've just had a quote from a firm in Salisbury to replace the front wings on Silkie.

Both wings to be replaced, all the necessary painting and sealing underneath. All new clips and seals ... Looks a thorough job. Cost??

£1000 labour
£500 materials
£470 parts

And VAT.

OUCH! is all I can say.

So looks like I'm getting another quote, too. And I would need to know what effect this may have on the value of the car.

OUCH!

It won't add £2k to the value.

As MuzTV hints at, it all depends on how much you can do yourself, even removing the old wings and fitting new ones yourself will save you a small fortune. Those wings from MB were running at £260 each for genuine ones last time I looked ..

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Hi,

Can get pre F/L panels and anyone worth his salt can weld a little patch into the Repeater 'ole ........

Mercedes have a lot of adjustment on their fixings, I don't usually have a problem lining them up.

Beware pre painted EBay lol, I doubt it will actually match, I've got one on my Lazulithe Blue R170, it looks like Stevie Wonder painted it, was like it when I bought the car ;) ;)

Generally, just to Paint one panel look at £150 Labour and Materials, more if it needs work,(repeater holes f.e.), and more to install ;)

Remember Side Skirts have to come off on most MB's to replace front Wings, and then there's the hardware that fixes the Wing to Bumper Joint ;)

HTH,

·
1,491 Posts
Hi,

Can get pre F/L panels and anyone worth his salt can weld a little patch into the Repeater 'ole ........

Mercedes have a lot of adjustment on their fixings, I don't usually have a problem lining them up.

Beware pre painted EBay lol, I doubt it will actually match, I've got one on my Lazulithe Blue R170, it looks like Stevie Wonder painted it, was like it when I bought the car ;) ;)

Generally, just to Paint one panel look at £150 Labour and Materials, more if it needs work,(repeater holes f.e.), and more to install ;)

Remember Side Skirts have to come off on most MB's to replace front Wings, and then there's the hardware that fixes the Wing to Bumper Joint ;)

HTH,

I've got those exact wings on 'the blue one', they're on eBay for the same price @ £162ish .. interestingly I was next door to the sellers just last week on a course but I digress ..

Yes they fit .. eventually .. after much fettling, lengthening of bolt holes and general faffing about, then there's the headlamp placement to contend with :( .. I didn't weld the indicator holes due to fears of warpage so I 'glassed them instead :p

If I have to go again, I'll go genuine MB for the extra £100 and be done with it

But 6yrs on and they're the best bit on the car now

20200211_155451.jpg

BTW. the bonnet is unlatched, my fettling is not that dodgy :p

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The materials were paint, underseal and a 'corrosion proof stonechip coating'.
The wings were quoted at £190 each (+VAT) so these are pattern parts (they quote for filling the repeater lamp mouldings)

I've not challenged them on labour costs yet, but they remove and refit the door handles, the door trim, moulding and sealing rails and the mirrors (why this is needed even to feather in new paint is questionable).

They did offer to repair a small ding in the door 'free of charge' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So a quote from elsewhere is being arranged for Friday - and I'll get a third one too.

·
1,491 Posts
The materials were paint, underseal and a 'corrosion proof stonechip coating'.
The wings were quoted at £190 each (+VAT) so these are pattern parts (they quote for filling the repeater lamp mouldings)

I've not challenged them on labour costs yet, but they remove and refit the door handles, the door trim, moulding and sealing rails and the mirrors (why this is needed even to feather in new paint is questionable).

They did offer to repair a small ding in the door 'free of charge' :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

So a quote from elsewhere is being arranged for Friday - and I'll get a third one too.

Not wishing to play the part of the Devil's Advocate but I really would get a quote for genuine MB panels for the postie. How much are they charging for filling the holes and all the fettling time that'll be required vs. won't (or shouldn't) be required, if you get my drift? 😈

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Not wishing to play the part of the Devil's Advocate but I really would get a quote for genuine MB panels for the postie. How much are they charging for filling the holes and all the fettling time that'll be required vs. won't (or shouldn't) be required, if you get my drift? 😈
/\ /\ /\ +1

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not wishing to play the part of the Devil's Advocate but I really would get a quote for genuine MB panels for the postie. How much are they charging for filling the holes and all the fettling time that'll be required vs. won't (or shouldn't) be required, if you get my drift?
I agree. He said genuine MB, but at that price they can't be. He did say that replacing the wings would likely be cheaper than mending the existing ones...

I couldn't challenge until I had the quote. Now I can. And I'll see what quote two gives, while looking for another place for quote three.

I did say to him that I'd be balancing the cost of doing this against the cost of a newer SLK.

·
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate feathered in paintwork, the blending clear always goes yellow and loses lustre after a time ;)
If I can match colours edge to edge then a good pro painter should be able to ;)
Thing is, my car had a full respray in 2014 so the old paint isn't that old.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Thing is, my car had a full respray in 2014 so the old paint isn't that old.
So the Professionals should know that, and it is even less reason to need to blend it, the Paint will not be faded like a 2002 Car would normally be ;)

Where I buy my Basecoats and other products, they scan the Panel next to the one you are doing or a Fuel Filler Flap etc, with some super optical gizmo, and it then uploads to their Paint Mixing system, and the Paint is a perfect match.
Only other thing to make certain is that the guy spraying it paints the new Panel in the same orientation that the rest were painted, i.e. horizontal Gun action for any panel on the side of a Car due to the way the 'pearlies' and 'metallics' flecks lay ..............

🤣 That is not a proper technical description (before someone jumps on me), it is how I understand it ;)

I taught myself all this over the last 4 years, and get good repeatable results now ;)
I do not do it for others because I spend too long, but it's a good skill for my own "Fleet", there is no decent paint shops around these parts lol I've seen some of the work............ AWFUL ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Lacquer ???? 🤣 ;)

I got ripped for saying that once, it's "Clear Coat" ..........

(just teasin' ya) ;)

I just use good brands like OMI-CRON ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts