Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November I started having issues cranking my car. It would turn over but not crank. At one point the battery was completely discharged. Recharged the battery and it would crank fine for about a week. Then it would go back to not cranking again. Had battery/alternator tested, everything checked out fine. Since battery was 6 years old, decided to replace it. Had battery about 6 weeks and sometimes it would crank and sometimes it would not. This time, however, there was no clicking of the ignition. I would drive it somewhere and park and when I got ready to drive it again, it would not turn over. Wait 10 minutes, it would turn over most of the time. Figured it was CPS or ignition switch. Parked it for winter.

Figured I would start with the CPS since it is cheap and easy to fix and solved this very same problem several years ago. Went out to change the CPS and the negative battery cable and post are highly corroded.

What could cause this amount of corrosion on an un-driven car with a new battery in just 4 months?

·
Registered
350 Posts
moisture in the air can do it.
petroleum jelly should be smeared on the terminals and connectors when replacing poss and neg leads. this helps inhibit corrosion. use petroleum jelly (Vaseline ) in preference to normal grease.
and check where neg lead fixes to body work and engine. those points can have a poor connection also.
note,
when working on the battery always REMOVE neg lead first & poss 2nd.
and FIT poss 1st and neg 2nd.
this is to stop you accidentally earthing a spanner out when on the poss (live + ) terminal.
(sorry if you knew this already, but it is an important safety tip)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.