Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Following the fitting of my smart-top and a pair of USB feeds for my dash-cam and phone charger, using an 'Add-a-fuse' or 'add-a-circuit' device, it became clear that these can be fitted incorrectly.
2 -Add A Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy-Back Standard Blade Fuse Holder ATO ATC 12v 24v | eBay

The correct way is so that each circuit is protected by it's own fuse.
The incorrect way has your new accessory drawing its power via both fuses.

It's therefore important to check that you plug the 'add-a-fuse' in the correct way round and there's a very easy test you can do, even if you don't have a meter.
Simply remove the lower (original) fuse, leaving just the new fuse for your accessory and see if you still have power to the new device, if the power has gone off then the 'Add-a-fuse' is the wrong way round.
See pictures for more details and note the +12v feed is different in the two pictures.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
It looks like WRONG WAY installation would bypass one of the fuses leading to a potential dangerous situation. Good tip! I'll be needing some of these to correct some issues the previous owner of my vehicle created while adding some custom lighting.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It looks like WRONG WAY installation would bypass one of the fuses leading to a potential dangerous situation. Good tip! I'll be needing some of these to correct some issues the previous owner of my vehicle created while adding some custom lighting.
No, you’re still safe if you fit the wrong way round, it’s just your power feed comes via both fuses in series. So if the original fuse has a low rating, it could blow with a higher rated add-on.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
509 Posts
-It looks like WRONG WAY installation would bypass one of the fuses leading to a potential dangerous situation. Good tip! I'll be needing some of these to correct some issues the previous owner of my vehicle created while adding some custom lighting.

-No, you’re still safe if you fit the wrong way round, it’s just your power feed comes via both fuses in series. So if the original fuse has a low rating, it could blow with a higher rated add-on.

Can't seem to use Multi-Quote so I copied and pasted:

OK I see it now, the writing is very small and my eyes are old but I see it, the lower fuse replaces the original fuse and the upper fuse is for the new device so it comes down to how you plug the "add a fuse" into the fuse block, the prong opposite the new device wire goes to the hot side and the other prong goes to device (whatever that may be). Thank you for clarifying, it's easier to see also if you click on the picture:nerd:. I could see how someone could miss that so good tip.:smile: Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.