Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know this has been discussed before but I'm still none the wiser as to what pressue I should pump the tyres to!

I got my R171 in April with 2 fresh continental tyres fitted to the rear at the Mercedes garage. When I first came to check/top up the tyres I read the fuel flap saying 35psi rear and 31psi front, but what I actually found was rear was at 43psi and front at 41psi.

Admittidly this was straight away after a 60mile motorway journey (travelling ~65mph, so the tyres were warm ) which you can add say 5psi for? That still means that the tyres were pumped a lot higher than recommended, by Mercedes themselves!

Therefore what pressure are people using?

I read on the tyre itself it says maximum pressure in the 60's PSI! but I presume that is more geared towards heavily loaded journeys.

Please help!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I always follow the manufactures recommendation. The label (inside door) on my R172 indicates tire size, cold tire pressure and references normal or extra load pressure. Its the same as the label inside the fuel door. Can't go wrong using MB recommended pressure.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,137 Posts
whatever is on the door plate. I run 35 rear cold and front 32 cold.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I am running 37 psi, cold both front and back (door placard states 32 front and 36 rear). I am using a bit higher than the recommended tyre pressure on the fronts because of inner tyre wall wear from prior experience, and a heavier engine up front.

Latest info from tire place, America's Tire Co. (based on their computer data from the model year, make and model) was 36 front and 39 rears. I think the MB service dep't I go to also follows the same as I've noted the same tyre pressure after service.

All tyre pressures mentioned above are based on cold tyre condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts