Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,542 Posts
As a scientist whose company is engaged in COVID-19 research and testing, I don't want to dampen enthusiasm or "good news" prospects, but people need some dose of reality. A vaccine or two would ultimately emerge from the crowded field of companies driving hard for these, BUT to expect such success and availability to millions of people in a few months is nothing short of a miracle. For those who believe in miracles, sure...

One of the fastest project in this endeavor is the Pfizer/BioNTech CV19 collaboration, see link here which aims to recruit 30,000 people (age 18-85) globally into their Phase II/III clinical trials. Even with a $1.5B upfront payment from the US government to Pfizer, there is considerable work and TIME required to accurately recruit, test, analyze results, submit for regulatory review, get reviewed, approved and be able to distribute millions/billions of the vaccine that end up at the end of the funnel. In most every other vaccine development projects in recorded history to human kind, these steps takes YEARS... not months.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,731 Posts
So hard for Joe Public to make sense of it all.
The experts are not all on the exact same page, then others make limited use of that info to push
their own objectives.

The best that I pick out of it as an ordinary Joe.
A second wave is far more likely than not.
Winter seems to be the likeliest time for that second wave.
The jump in figures seen lately are spikes, not the second wave.
And a vaccine? Still to play for, but some programs seem hopeful.

And the public?
Every extreme and all points in between.

Then we get the duty of explaining what we do not know to our elders.
The closest I have got:
Yes, we have experts on virus, transmission, control and vaccine.
This is the first time this exact virus has turned up.
Kind of like taking your Merc into a Chevrolet dealer.

·
1,542 Posts
Myk (@Avel Du), your points are far smarter than that of an ordinary Joe :) .... At this time, the safest, most important advice we should all give others and ourselves is to act as responsible adults - protect ourselves and others by wearing masks in public, especially when in a crowded location, keep safe distance from others, and stay home if no critical need to be out and about.

Here in the US, we reached 150,000 announced CV19 deaths today (July 29, 2020). We are officially at ~4.4 million infections (altho' our CDC says we are actually 6-24x of that number, yikes!) and more people remain highly vulnerable to infection from this virus globally.

Safety from CV19 infection is the very best solution going forward. If we all diligently follow good public health advice from professionals, we will do well to mitigate the horrors of a second/third wave or potential co-morbidity with the influenza virus coming in the Fall...

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am just reporting good. It’s not an expectation, but it’s nice to dream of the possibility. with so much negative out there, it’s good to have something possibly good to hold onto. Obviously one should be smart about taking precautions until (whenever that might be) a preventative that is available becomes available. Remember, somebody does eventually win the lottery, so it is possible for these long shots to come true. I do acknowledge the fact that it is “a longshot“. But unlikely is not the same as impossible.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK350
541 Posts
Hmmm, we’ve know about Influenza for over 100 years and still haven’t got a cure! Worrying!

The problem is stupidity! Did you read about the guy that thought CV19 was a conspiracy so he attended a CV19 party to prove it wasn’t true, caught it and died.

Don’t cough in people’s faces, wash your hands and just be sensible. Don’t rely on waiting for a cure that simply may never come.

·
1,542 Posts
^^^John (@JayButterfield), that is why public health professional are doing their darnest best to warn people and remind them that public health needs everyone to do their part and help each other out. Saw a poll that found >74% of Americans wear mask in the public. Excellent news, indeed. Hope it gets close to 100% if we are to put a dent in infection rates.... slow down infection, slow down mortality... and those are the twin elements of "good news" to share along with progress on viable treatment, cure and/or vaccination...

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,544 Posts
As ugly as things are right now, we could use some honest good news on this front.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,041 Posts
What boggles me is that since this is Covid 19 and we had 18 predecessors to practice on, why we didn't have a head start?

Maya~Taptalk

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,213 Posts
What boggles me is that since this is Covid 19 and we had 18 predecessors to practice on, why we didn't have a head start?

Maya~Taptalk
Because it belongs to a family of virus that are all subtly different, each with it's own unique characteristics. Related to SARS for example.

·
1,542 Posts

Maya~Taptalk
The "19" stands for the year it became a pandemic.... 2019. Here is a quick/easy read on SARS virus... from the CDC

Reactions: osi

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is a thread for GOOD news only people. I created this thread to encourage people to be hopeful in light of the dark clouds that the coronavirus rings. As your mama used to say, if you don’t have anything nice to say..........

21 - 40 of 41 Posts