Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police officers in Georgia are using an unusual tactic to catch drivers who are texting behind the wheel. Instead of giving themselves away by just sitting in their cars, they’re instead dressing up as construction workers to nab distracted drivers.

According to the report by CNN, police officers often find it difficult to make a charge of distracted driving stick because it’s difficult to prove whether or not a driver was actually using their cell phone before they notice the police car and put their phones away. When police officers are dressed as construction workers however, no one pays them any mind, and officers are able to walk right up to cars while drivers are texting away.

After the “construction workers” notice a driver texting, they radio in to a patrol car waiting further down the road and the patrol car will pull over the drivers and give them a ticket.

Many drivers were upset however since a large number of the tickets were handed out to drivers who were texting or looking at their phones while they were stopped at a red light, not while their vehicle was actually in motion. Officers had to explain to the drivers that any time the vehicle is on and in gear while they’re texting, they’re violating the law (at least that’s the case in Georgia).

“It doesn’t matter if you’re stopped at a light, if you’re on a public thoroughfare and facing the phone we’re going to have a conversation with you,” said one police officer.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,857 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes there doing that here in Charlotte NC too... Posing at construction work and pulling over people texting on there cell phone.
$150.00 fine and points on your driving record....

jnc1948 Charlotte NC

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I get caught in my Semi texting or talking on the Phone not using the blue Tooth while driving 1st offense is $ 2750.00 2nd offense is $ 10.000 for me and the company. Sadly it is them 4 Wheeler that hang on there phones texting playing on FB 99 out of a 100 Cars.

Glad there is a Blue Tooth for Truckers to make my life easier while driving.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
My way everyone phones ,texts ,
And have dogs on there lap while driving .

The police would make a fortune but the trouble is there are no police my way because of cut backs so everyone flouts the law .

Every 5 th person is on there phone .

Or the next dangerous thing is full on enclosed headphones on there head while driving . :grin:

·
Super Moderator
24,232 Posts
"is on and in gear while they’re texting,"

Some of the newer cars switch off if the car is stationary for a short period.
Surely that will lead to a legal argument as to whether the car is 'on' technically.

I don't even like to talk to someone who is hands free. I would hate to hear the screech of rubber, shattering glass and the nothing.....

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Your at less chance of being done on phone .
If you have pulled over in a safe place hazzards on and on the phone .
Even with the ignition on .

Its the people on there phones whilst driving is what there after .
And they only have to look at your phone to see at the time of seeing you if you have sent a text or on the phone .

Simples

·
Fanatical Member
3,417 Posts
Yep, those that text while driving make me crazy. But it's the ladies putting on their makeup while driving that really ticks me off!!! :surprise:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts