Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a very, very slight coolant odor from under the hood after parking Challenge in the garage....usually dissipates within a couple of minutes. Can't smell it when the garage AC is functioning. No drips on the floor or loss of coolant level. Could this be the overflow container venting? Any ideas?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Does the garage have a HVAC system?

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes...it is temp and humidity controlled with a humidistat controlled exhaust fan that function occassionally.....other than the slight coolant odor there is no typical engine smell at all after operating the car.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
How about the engine temp; is it "normal"? My Spyder had a coolant smell that eventually went away. One day I was under the car checking for an oil filter leak, and noticed the greenish crust of dried-up coolant from the "Drain hole" of the water pump. The pump was dying and I had to replace it.
Gregg, I think it would be a good idea to get this checked, and soon, just to be safe.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep....good idea...I will....thanks! It is very minor and short lived....absolutely no coolant loss detectable.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Yep....good idea...I will....thanks! It is very minor and short lived....absolutely no coolant loss detectable.

That sounds just like what was happening to my Spyder. My episode was really very good timing; I had to drain all the coolant anyway, so I installed the new pump AND added all new coolant. "Burping" the sys.(longish story) was a pain, but all was good after.

I hope it's nothing serious.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been on several short fairly max performance drives and no further odor (knock on wood). Der Fleiger suggested that I might have run over some lost coolant from another vehicle which is entirely possible.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Either that or you happened to vent some from the overflow line onto something warm. Given that the temperatures are getting warmer, may just be more expansion than it's used too. I'd personally not worry too much about it, just keep an eye on the overflow container and fluid levels to be safe. Car's pretty good about throwing up warnings if you go over temp.

I'd also suggest mentioning it on your next service just so they 1] take a closer look and 2] you have it documented if it ever develops into anything serious.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Gregg, like I stated, the "drain plug" was plugged by the dried-up coolant and the smell went away, BUT, the water pump WAS going out. It won't hurt to have it checked than run the risk of the pump going out and the engine frying. Hell, you might get stuck in Terre Haute !!!

Reactions: Gregg
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.