Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SLKers...
So I've been working in Europe for a while and I'm going back to the States soon. When I get back (to SoCal) I'm planning to buy a nice roadster.
I've been reading and researching and I've narrowed it down to the BMW z4 and the MB SLK.
My budget is 20~25k, and obviously I'm looking for a used 05~06 model.
Both cars are roughly in that price range, the Z4 being a little bit cheaper.
Haven't done a test drive yet, will do when I get back to the US.
It will be my daily driver (shot commute though), and I'll be doing tons of roadtrips. No track day though.
Right now I'm 50-50 about either, I love the Z4's wacky looks but the SLK has a very elegant stance. Both offer roughly the same amenities and performance. I was wondering what "sold" your current SLK to you, what features made it better than the competition.
Come on, people, convince me! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Those two cars were my choices also. I just got my 06 a month ago. The hard-top convertible sold me on the SLK. I never liked "rag" tops when they are in the "up" position. The SLK looks great in both modes. I've never driven the z4 but I was very impressed with the handling of the SLK on my test drive. It felt solid and sure. I have been getting around 24mpg with mostly local driving. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the SLK.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Get in one. Z4 is much more cramped interior. SLK is more livable day to day. It is the luxury side of the equation.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,192 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,882 Posts
Welcome from Oregon. The hard top and air scarf are what tipped the scale for us. We looked at the Z4 and SLK as well.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Does the Z4 come with Z4World.com? No! SLK does!:bannana:
I think the SLK is the perfect mix of Sport and Luxury. And if you're over 6 feet tall, forget it. I'm 6'3" and I have plenty of legroom in the SLK. That and the hardtop are what sold me. Some people don't even realize it's a convertible.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've always been a BMW fan and still have my 1999 328i that I drive when the family is with me. When I decided to get a convertible, I look at the M3, the CLK, and then I fell in love with the SLK. The styling did it for me.

Once I decided on the SLK the next choice was which one. I went back and forth between a SLK350 and the 55AMG - which I ultimately settled on. I just love the feeling of the bigger engine and sound of the exhust. You can;t beat it R)

·
Registered
405 Posts
accelerating down an on ramp is what did it for me. I wasn't really comparing to anything.

What I like about my car now? still?

hard top opposed to the rag top. Easier maintenance. Airscarf too!
Styling. Love the F1 nose on it.
The car is comfortable to drive. Normally I can't drive more than an hour without my back giving me issues. In the SLK, I haven't had problems in a 3 hour drive.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Hard top, don't like the inside of a Z4, prefer the outside of the SLK, SLK is WAY better looking with the top up. In fact it's the only car I can think of that looks great top up or down.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Hard Top Conv. Also we drove both cars, both are great but I think the Z4 would be a great 2nd car (Weekends, Track), the SLK is easily a daily driver.

Welcome from rainy Florida.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So wife and I went over to the mom-in-laws to BBQ and wash the beast, and saw one of the new Z4's on Shooters Hill - was going in the same direction I was, so we followed and then it followed us for a bit up the A2.

Gotta say, it looks a hell of a lot better in person that it does in the pictures I've seen. He had his top up (well, he *is* a BMW owner), and the lines with the top up look damned good. New hood, trunk, and sides all flow very well. I hope to see one top down soon.

It's not an SLK, but I did take a couple of long, hard looks at it. Wife says it does not look as nice as the SLK, and I agree it's not as striking as a R171 - but it's a nicely shaped piece of metal. Was completely debadged side and rear, so have no idea what was under the hood. Traffic was not really condusive to playing around, so didn't really get to hear it under load - and it would have had to drown out the wonderful sound of the 55! :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hardtop vs Softtop, I also like the SLKs interior more.

Both fun cars but I would (and did) go with the SLK. I would go Porsche before Z4.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it! :)

So I'm happy (MORE than happy) to report I'm the proud owner of a 2005 SLK350 :)

The car is AMAZING, it's the best thing I've ever had and I still can't believe it's my car! R)

Options are homelink, xenon, cd changer, heated seats. Pretty skimpy, but the price was unbeatable. I wanna chage the head unit for the navigation, probably in a few months... will be referring to the posts in this forum.

I still don't know what 1/2 of the buttons do hehehe...http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/314/dsc05034.jpg

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Congratulations Bleen :tu:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.