Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum and I have already posted a few questions about different subjects. This is one involving a remote control for the convertible roof of my
1998 SLK 230 which was installed by the original owner. The remote control is
a COMPUSTAR R7000. You have to push a sequence of buttons to remotely open your roof from as far as inside your home. The original owner showed me once and it worked but I haven't done it since. I don't know what system he used to get the roof to open remotely. I am seeing a COMPUSTAR Dealer as I would real like a easier romote to do the job of opening and closing the roof, I am hoping he can provide a remote that is idiot proof, says basically open and close. At the same time I am thinking about getting a remote starter as I have noticed the key
cylinder in my car is reluctant to give me my key back. I have to fiddle with it to get my key out. I had a 1982 mustang that started doing that and eventually I had to replace the key mechanism. To avoid doing that with this car I figure the remote start will save me the head ache. I might get the push button start but I have no idea if that is possible or what option is actually cheaper.

Anybody have any ideas regarding the remote control roof or the starter?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
Make sure to remove your foot from the brake pedal before removing key after shutdown. Key will not come out if foot is still on brake. If I remember correctly from when I had my slk230, I believe it's in the owners manual.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
has to be enabled if disabled. see how to enable/disable here:

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/mercedes/STLFMZ1/operation/en.php

Top operation with the console switch:
Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
Tap open once to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open twice slowly to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap open twice quickly to open the windows
Tap close once to close top and windows.
Tap close twice slowly to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap close twice quickly to close the windows
Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!

Comfort close for all windows:
Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.

Function 3 - Remote Control ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function allows full automatic top operation with the original remote fob by pressing the lock and unlock buttons.
Also here it is possible to determine (independently from operation via the center console switch) the position of the windows after opening the top.
Setting 1 is standard remote mode with windows up (WU) after top open. Setting 2 is standard remote mode with windows down (WD) after top open. Settings 3 and 4 (extended) are the same as 1 and 2, only that it is possible to turn the ignition on and start the engine while the top still continues. Additionally getting out of the car and locking the doors by remote will not interrupt an ongoing top operation.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts, as locking the (previously unlocked) doors with the remote will not stop the top!

Top operation with the remote fob:
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to open all windows.
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the roof.
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the roof and leave windows up.
Tap LOCK on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to close all windows.
Tap LOCK on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to close roof and windows.
Tap LOCK on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to close roof and leave windows down.
Tap any direction to stop an ongoing operation. To stop the top in extended mode in any door lock state, tap the same direction twice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I can't operate the remote control from my key fob at all. I only have one fob and it only opens and closes the doors (no panic button, no auto start). The second thing I have is a COMPUSTAR remote starter with 4 buttons. If I remember correctly you have to hold the 1st and 3rd button down to start the process which rolls down the windows and so on and then the 2nd button has to be pressed together with the 4th button for a few seconds to finish the process. Now it kind of makes sense, it mimics the consul switch inside the car.

Thanks again

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
well if you can confirm you don't have the smarttop or another brand that does similar, your keyfob should use rf and that is what the smarttop uses to operate the roof so you can still use/purchase the SmartTop and have all those features mentioned in my smarttop thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, i'm interested in the push start concept too. Approached a fews shops at where I came from but all claimed its too hard to do it on the old merc. Let me know if you have better luck.. Thanks ☺

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw the owner of Audio Heaven today and he agreed the best option for that car is the rear view mirror that has Nav, Bluetooth and Back-up Camera and he would do it himself. It may not have auto dimmer though. He is not in next week he is taking a vacation but the week after that is good. In the meantime he will order the parts. He took a look at the work done and said the guy was serious about his music he went all out at the time. The AM/FM reception is notoriously bad in those cars from the factory but he can boost the antenna for better reception to the max but still won’t be the quality of sound coming from the UBS and CD player (buy the way the CD plays great and the sound is better than in the Lexus).

in terms of the lights not automatically turning off he said he will not touch the doors because he didn’t install them and he doesn’t want to go in and fix something and accidentally screw something else up. He suggested just turning off the dome light so if the door is open it won’t stay on. I also told him the car has foot well lights and he said if he can turn them off for me and it is easy he will do that so that way nothing will be on in the car when the door is left open.

In terms of the remote control for the convertible roof he says they are made purposely with the need to push more than one button at a time to avoid accidently opening the roof. No idiot remote to open or close the roof with one switch. I have to live with it.

I also have to live with no push button start. He confirmed what the original owner said that they are a nightmare in this car aftermarket and he will not do it.

After all is said in done he quoted $1100 total and he will need the car for the full day.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
wrong on the 1 button at a time
you push 1 button 3 times as described previously. see the videos in the smarttop thread. other videos also show 1 button push. you just click 3 times to either open or close it. that guy does not know what he is talking about and you can tell him i said so

send him the instructions for the smarttop

sorry, not mad at you, just at people that spout and don't know about the smarttop

Top operation with the remote fob:
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to open all windows.
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the roof
Tap UNLOCK on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the roof and leave windows up.
Tap LOCK on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to close all windows.
Tap LOCK on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to close roof and windows.
Tap LOCK on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to close roof and leave windows down.
Tap any direction to stop an ongoing operation. To stop the top in extended mode in any door lock state, tap the same direction twice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.