Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls!

I am planning to hire a CHRYSLER SEBRING CONVERTIBLE and drive it from Phoenix to Los Angeles, S Diego, S Francisco.
I dont want to miss out on the convertible experience being used to my SLK in the UK .. but.. is this car fit for my long trip? any other suggestions?

Thanks

P

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
We did the same thing last year in a Dodge Nitro (well two actually, we had to change it in Las vegas because an oil change service light came on). I would expect the Sebring to be OK.

We created this blog during the trip, which lasted two weeks..

http://glennhelen.blogspot.com

Good luck, it's a great journey. We had a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did the same thing last year in a Dodge Nitro (well two actually, we had to change it in Las vegas because an oil change service light came on). I would expect the Sebring to be OK.

Brilliant!
unfortunately I have to do some work too... but not too much... ehehehe
Thanks for the link

P

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts

Nice pictures. Thanks for the link.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
The Sebring is probably a 5 on a scale of ten. But so is the average rental car. And the top drops, it has a nice sized trunk for luggage, is probably reasonably comfortable, and the drive you describe is spectacular. But it will be a bit hot (between 30-40C in the summer) so expect to only have the top down in the morning and evenings, and bring hats and sun lotion!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Wow...........the Sebring has consistently been voted worst car ever made according to several sources. Might be better off with some other convertible :confused:.........
Well he could try a Pontiac Solstice GXP, if he can find one and is only taking a toothbrush (as that's all you can get in trunk with the roof down)...

A drop-top Mustang could be cool.....

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Be sure to let me know if we can grab a pint together when you get to Phoenix!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
If you're renting from Hertz, they also have the Volvo C70 which is much nicer. It's a metal convertible like the SLK.

The Sebring is really very terrible. I hate it. Also with the top down, the trunk shrinks to around 3 cubic feet, so you might not have enough space for your luggage.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
+1 on the C70. I rented a Mustang convertible year before last (not the new body style), and the seats in it were absolutely horrible - wife was making me stop ever hour or so just to get the hell out.

We did a t-bird the year before, was awesome, but no trunk room at all, and I don't think anyone rent's them anymore.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Of the converts mentioned I'd go w/ the C70. I've hired a Sebring in Florida and Mustang in Hawaii, but only for 2 days and they were fine. W/ your trip I'd go Volvo, of course It'll probably cost more. Just my .02.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow...........the Sebring has consistently been voted worst car ever made according to several sources. Might be better off with some other convertible :confused:.........
I concur! I hated it...no trunk space with Top Dwn, either!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I just looked up PHX and they don't have the Volvo. They do have the Corvette ZHZ which has a targa top. We were able to get the top down and two rollerboard suitcases in the back on our last trip with the Corvette. It's typically pretty expensive to rent, especially for longer trips though.

I think I like the look of the Mustang over the Sebring, but its smaller and equally horrible on the interior quality. Here's the yellow mustang we got on a trip to Kauai in 2006.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi there!

thanks for the replies.... they are all most useful.
Unfortunately I have been busy and left it to the last second... I am flying out to Phoenix tomorrow .. and I haven't booked anything yet!
I may be better off picking the car up directly at the airport....rather than looking for one on the net..

Coldshot, it would be great to have a pint.. but.. I am afraid that i am driving directly form the airport to the gran canyon where I am staying overnight..
that is if i find a car.....

Looking forward to the trip!!!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Remember, it's just a rental, not a purchase. I still think the Sebring will be fine for a vacation. The whole object is to have the top down and see the sights. Other than the initial realization that it's not an SLK, I bet the Sebring will suffice.

BUT, I just looked on-line, and Avis has a broader selection here

dj

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I would strongly advise that you book one before arriving. The rates will generally be cheaper than walk up rates. You can usually cancel / no-show without penalty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.