Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
105 Posts
I tried doing it. You can do lower/raise it but afterwards it isn't controlable even with the double click on the roof switch. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
+1 ...

DAS will raise and lower the rears, but you can't make it 'stick' to the buttons .....

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have to ask, other than the proverbial "forbidden fruit", why would you want to raise all four Windows with your top off? Better wind resistance? Perhaps that is the very reason the designers have disallowed the practice. Perhaps the rear windows simply do not have the tensile strength (for lack of a better term) to ensure that under harsh conditions, they wouldn't break. It makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
105 Posts
I have to ask, other than the proverbial "forbidden fruit", why would you want to raise all four Windows with your top off? Better wind resistance? Perhaps that is the very reason the designers have disallowed the practice. Perhaps the rear windows simply do not have the tensile strength (for lack of a better term) to ensure that under harsh conditions, they wouldn't break. It makes perfect sense to me.
If you notice on the CLK or E cab all four windows can be raised, and those are larger windows (i.e. more weight - more stress).

Raising all four windows reduces wind buffeting in the cabin to an extent because it pushes the side walls of the cockpit a bit past the wind deflector, whereas without them it allows for wind to come into the cabin from the side. I came from a CLK cab and having all four windows up made the cabin extremely quiet. It also makes a noticeable difference when I tried it on the SLK through DAS, albeit not to the extent of refinement of the CLK.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
^

Yes, the rears up make a big difference to noise and buffeting and also divert rain from curling around the fronts and hitting you in the face and neck. It also looks better! All four raise smoothly and 'park' even at xxx mph, so I'm led to believe...

My conclusion is that the reason Benz didn't include it was either oversight, or obviating the possibility of rears up, fronts down, which would be an accident waiting to happen - and they're not as clever as the Smarttop chaps ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts