Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I bought my SLK 55 AMG a little over a year ago. It had 4k miles on it when I bought it and the original tires, Continental ContiSport Contact 5P's. I had to replace them at about 8,000 miles on the odometer. Now my dealer is telling me I need to replace them again. about 7,500 miles later. They tell me the fronts are still perfect but the rears are on the wear bars. And that they are "Cupping". I thought cupping happened due to some suspension problem, not normal wear? Am I wrong?

Truth is, I am just driving them on the highway. I have not really let this beast off the chain since I have owned it (I am as disappointed in myself as others will be of me.....:|) I have not been to the track. I know these OEM spec tires are super soft and sticky. Just wondering if I am being an ass expecting to get more like 10K miles out of them? They could at least keep pace with the oil change. Right?

What is your experience with these tires and do I need to look for a different tire that better suits my driving without sacrificing much grip?

Cheers,
Paul G

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I replaced my rears at about 15,000. Thinking of doing the fronts as MB have said that there is cracking in the tread which, they think, may be contributing to my vibration problem (another story, another thread). Personally I think they're taking nonsense.

The fronts have plenty of tread left though and the car is only three years old. ContiSportContact 5p same as yours, new versions appear to be Premium Contact 6.

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Gone through 3 sets of rear sp5 on my 350 and I get around 7 thousand miles , found them to be a great all round tyre

·
Registered
727 Posts
Consider switching to a harder tire, in the 63 a good soft summer will go 10k but a good all season will do 25k (can't launch in 1st gear anymore though).

Regardless of that it does seem like you have a geometry problem. A light car like the slk driven patiently should get you 15k+ plus on those tires.

Do you really actually have cupping? Some pictures might help...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
I have conti on the fronts but have Michelin on the rears and get 10k on every set. 111k so far

·
Registered 05 SLK55 & 06 Kleemann 55K S8
878 Posts
Get some Michelin Pilot SuperSports. I have 17k on them (11k on a 55 and 6k on a supercharged 55) and they still have at least 1/2 tread left! Pretty amazing for the amount of grip they give and how hard I push them at times. I have tried several other brands of tires, but for the same level of performance I can't get half the life out of them. I just pay the little extra money for the PSS and enjoy them. The PS4 is a newer version. They didn't have 18" sizes when I got my last set, but will probably get those next. Wet performance is supposed to be a bit better on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts