Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Further to my last thread (and thanks for all your input) - I'm just starting to price up Conti DWS (x4) - 1st pricing is from Canadian Tire - C$1,100 on the road. Any recent comparatives/suggestions out there - SW Ontario or Michigan border?

·
Registered
333 Posts
lloyda, I am no where near your location, but for comparison sake . . . . on 12/24/10, I purchased the same tires for $684.27 out-the-door. BTW I have put 23000 miles on the tires and they still look, ride and perform great!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in Northern California, and just went to our local tire dealer today to order the DWS's in the sizes you mentioned. My quote is $662.32 mounted, balanced, and nitrogen filled.
I have an appointment for a week from this Monday for the tires, and alignment. Hope these help with some of the road noise I have now.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Hope these help with some of the road noise I have now.
I know many say the DWS is a quiet tire, but I've found them to be rather noisy. Maybe it's just the coarseness of the pavement, but the RE-01R's I had on my MR2 Spyder never made a peep, and I basically drive the same roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know many say the DWS is a quiet tire, but I've found them to be rather noisy. Maybe it's just the coarseness of the pavement, but the RE-01R's I had on my MR2 Spyder never made a peep, and I basically drive the same roads.

At the moment my car has Sumitomo's on the rear, and some brand I never heard of on the front. Sumi's are notoriously noisy. Don't know anything about the front tires, but they are definitely noisy also. Plus having owned the car for only a few weeks, I have no idea how old the existing tires are, and it doesn't really matter because they are nearly worn out anyway. So the new Conti's have got to be better than what I have now.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Have you checked Tire Rack USA....their prices are usually very good. I'm sure they'll have an installer in Port Huron... Sad to say I had to rush and install Yoko's on Kismet, but they're pretty good. $500 locally.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Have you checked Tire Rack USA....their prices are usually very good. I'm sure they'll have an installer in Port Huron... Sad to say I had to rush and install Yoko's on Kismet, but they're pretty good. $500 locally.
JJ, which Yoks did you go with, the S.Drive? It's a decent tire. TR's prices are good, but they don't include the installation costs. One can usually get the same tire installed locally for less, especially if they tell dealer they will be a good advert for the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Mark...I think they are Avid S..."high performance all season" - at least they are quiet! Seem to be reasonably sticky.
Definitely better than what you had? Great :tu::tu:

·
Banned
51 Posts
On the DWS, I paid $628 [total] back in December [2 x 225/45ZR17 plus 2 x 245/40ZR17] at Discount Tire. Very nice tires, quiet, seem to be wearing well after 8k miles. They handle very well with fine wet/dry traction [though I fortunately haven't had to test them in snow]. I had two sets of Yoko Avids on an E 36 bimmer convertible - very nice tires, as well, though I doubt they are as 'all weather' as the DWS.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Geez Rx....don't tell me that!! 650$ for all four!! aaarrrghhh

Now all I can hear is the fronts - still running the Riken noise makers. So they will have to go...maybe Sep/Oct if I can get a weekend free down to the States.

Rx...what was the website addee?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The 540 UTQG for the Conti DWS looks very impressive. The DW shows better performance in the dry but I am thinking the DWS will improve once the "S" has scrubbed off.

G.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I wouldn't expect that, the tread pattern is different, not just deeper. I have the DW, I have no complaints.
Uh, not exactly! My DWS's tread pattern didn't change when the "S" wore off, just the tread depth. And ANY tire will corner better(to a point) as the tread wears due to less tread squirm/movement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Done - $662.13 at Discount Tire in Indiana - en-route to the Ryder Cup in Chicago (congratulations Europe.....).
Over 1k miles later and very happy - difference between these and the previous Michelin Sports is like sleeping in your own bed compared to a hotel bed. Now looking forward to getting out on a crisp winter's day..
And best of all....under the $750 duty-free limit back to Canada.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts