Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed down tire choice to Conti DW or Michelin Pilot Sport. The Pilot Sport is a little more expensive, but beats the Conti DW in every category when compared side by side on the Tire Rack comparison chart. The Tire Rack consultant says the Pilot Sport is a much better tire all around. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,154 Posts
Gregg, i'm gonna move this to the tire section, ok?

I recommend contis as I have had both

·
Registered
30 Posts
Michelins are more expensive initially but the value comes from their performance and great wear characteristics. As with any tire; regular rotations and maintaining correct tire pressure is critical to longevity. All of my cars shoes are Michelins with Pilots on the SLK.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Which PS are you thinking of getting? There are 5 different "models" and none listed have the correct 17" sizes.
The "SuperSport" does come in the correct sizes...

Also, you tell me you want ride comfort and noise comfort and the DW is rated higher than the SS, per the TR test results.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Slickr... unfortunately, with the staggered tires on the SLK "rotation" requires pulling the tires off all four rims. In addition some are also asymmetric and unidirectional (not sure about the tires being discussed here) which precludes rotation, period. But I hear you!

Good luck with your pick Gregg.

I have Rykens (a Mich derivative) still on the fronts - horribly noisy tire...

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which PS are you thinking of getting? There are 5 different "models" and none listed have the correct 17" sizes.
The "SuperSport" does come in the correct sizes...

Also, you tell me you want ride comfort and noise comfort and the DW is rated higher than the SS, per the TR test results.
My bad! Actually, I did order Pilot Super Sports.....wouldn't want to order tires that wouldn't fit now would I? However, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus does come in the correct sizes.

We must not be looking at the same info.....the Pilot Super Sport had higher ratings than the DW in every category on the Tire Rack Customer Survey Data site. We will see how they work out and report back.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My bad! Actually, I did order Pilot Super Sports.....wouldn't want to order tires that wouldn't fit now would I? However, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus does come in the correct sizes.

We must not be looking at the same info.....the Pilot Super Sport had higher ratings than the DW in every category on the Tire Rack Customer Survey Data site. We will see how they work out and report back.
Gregg, try reading the actual "tests" performed by the TR staff, not a consumer who hasn't back-to-back tested the tires on the road.
Also, the PS A/S is an ALL SEASON tire(like the DWS, but not as good) not in the same class as the PS or DW.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What tires do you have now, Gregg? Would like to hear about your before/after experience.

-K
I have Conti CS3 all around and have been very satisfied with them since purchasing the vehicle. 2nd set of rears are near the wear bars so I thought something different might be worth a try. Wanted something quiet and smooth. Pilot Super Sports are very highly rated by actual customers who run them on similar vehicles and I value consumer opinion. They were also recommended over the Conti DW by the Tire Rack Consultant I spoke with on the phone. The PSS is a more expensive tire, but not by a huge margin. I'll report back after fitment and test.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I have the Pilot Sports and I'm enjoying them so far. I'm sure you will too.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Check the Conti's DWS they are all season, hi marks for dry and wet. I have them on the rear and projecting near 30k. to wear bars. Even if you do not drive in snow they are still good. Great ever day driving in all weather.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Michellin is quieter too, it's all an around better tire but of course you have to pay the premium. Nothing wrong with the Conti's though. They make good tires.

·
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had time to put a few hundred miles on the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) and here are my comments.........

1) The MPSS tires have a significantly smoother ride when compared to the Conti CS3s. This is true on both smooth and rough pavement types regardless of vehicle speed. Subtle pitching moments and general vibration are much decreased.

2) The MPSS tires are markedly more quiet than the CS3s. There is virtually no road noise from the MPSS on smooth pavement....reminds me of my Cadillac w/ touring tires and it was kind of eeire at first.

3) The MPSS seems to have a tad more side wall flex when compared to the CS3. It is only noticeable when cornering very hard at moderate speeds (50-80 mph). Traction feels about equal for both tires. The car feels more sure footed on low speed curvy roads, but there is clearly a different feel that takes a little getting used to. The car is more controllable and linear at speeds over 100 mph (not as much side to side drift).

General Comments -
According to the tire technician, very little weight was required to balance the tires as compared to what was in place on the CS3s. To me this indicates a more uniform construction, but there may be other reasons I'm not considering.

I liked the CS3, but I have to agree with the Tire Rack Consultant's comment that the MPSS is in another league. At least for my use, the MPSS seems ideal. Of course the CS3s were worn to within 2mm of the wear bars so its not really a new tire to new tire comparison.

Finally, the Tire Rack people were very helpful and tire price was much better than local tire stores. Shipping cost was washed by no sales tax since the items shipped from out of state. Just so happens that my favorite local tire shop was a Tire Rack authorized installer so that all went very well too. I'm waiting on Michelin to issue the rebate card.

Good luck to everyone who goes down the new tire road. It's safe to say that Challenge is very happy with his new shoes!

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Hey Gregg. I am not sure about the Conti's, but I just replaced my original Pirellis with the Michelin Super Sports as well. I agree with everything that you have stated vs. the original equipment with one exception. I notice a bit more road noise. Nothing that is really bothersome, but road noise from the Pirellis that came with the car was not noticeable at all, but now I definitely am aware of a "quite" humming of the tires.

Having said that, smoothness, ride comfort and cornering are huge improvements! While I still had some tread left on the fronts (but I replaced them to have a matching set anyway) the rears were shot after 13k miles. I am just hoping for a longer life on the rears cause those puppies ain't cheap!

The width on the new Brabus wheels went from 7½/8½ to 8½/9½ respectively so I am not sure if the wider wheel has anything to do with the noise or not.

Overall, so far I have to say I'm a happy camper. We should check back on this topic 12000 miles down the road. :tu:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'll be getting SuperSports soon. I'll let you know how they are after driving on them. They're supposed to be pretty good via anecdotal evidence from other drivers of higher end vehicles with whom I have spoken.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts