Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, me again...
the bulb on the right hand side of the console that backlights the heater controls on the passenger side (LHD) has burned out. does anyone know how to go about replacing that? a quick troll through Pelican doesn't show anything specific, and I infer from what I saw that you would have to take the entire center console out to get access to the area in question. If that's the fix then so be it, however I don't want to start removing my e-brake and shifter and whatnot to get the lower part of the center console out if there's some way of removing just the upper portion...
Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,412 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sadly no. that tells you how to replace the lights behind the gauges... I need to replace the ones behind the upper central console.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
If you're referring to the heater control knobs/dials, the bulb is changed by pulling off the knob and removing the bulb behind it with needle nosed pliers or similar...

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you're referring to the heater control knobs/dials, the bulb is changed by pulling off the knob and removing the bulb behind it with needle nosed pliers or similar...
I just did this 3 days ago but I have a problem. I fan knob doesn't fully click in and I can now remove it by hand without any tools. When I first took it off, it required a little bit of strength and prying. The knob for the vents control will no longer attaches. The piece inside the dash that the knob attaches to seems to have moved backwards in the dash a little. I need to fix this before winter when I need my defrosters. Does anyone have an idea how to get the knobs back on tightly like they were before I replaced the light bulbs? I double checked and nothing broke or bent.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,215 Posts
I just did this 3 days ago but I have a problem. I fan knob doesn't fully click in and I can now remove it by hand without any tools. When I first took it off, it required a little bit of strength and prying. The knob for the vents control will no longer attaches. The piece inside the dash that the knob attaches to seems to have moved backwards in the dash a little. I need to fix this before winter when I need my defrosters. Does anyone have an idea how to get the knobs back on tightly like they were before I replaced the light bulbs? I double checked and nothing broke or bent.
You can fairly easily remove the whole central dash panel and this makes access to the heater controls much easier. You should be able to then see where your alignment problems are. If you have the keys to remove your head unit - and any necessary codes to re-enable it once you re-assemble it - then the job is a matter of 15 minutes or so to get access.

Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I find my issue, the back of the vent controller was not attached to the module. I'm trying to figure out how to put it back together the correct way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.