Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK 55 AMG
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of coilovers on a R171 55 AMG? I've seen a few threads, but nothing conclusive.

These look pretty good, with plenty of adjustment for the occasional track day.

I'm currently running stock dampers with H&R springs, which is fine for road use but I'm wanting something adjustable.

Any advice or suggestions??

Thanks,
Gav

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,845 Posts
Best I've read about around here is KW v3 coil overs... Lower-tier brand like BC Racing is OK as well, just not as good.... and go from there...

For example: Coilovers on SLK55?

Reactions: Thisisgavind

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,963 Posts
I have the KW v3 on my 55. Looks great, drives great. It's a harder ride than stock but not as hard as springs and bilsteins give you. I've never ever adjusted them since getting them originally set up, but of course being able to set them up like you prefer is why these things are so nice.

·
1,845 Posts
I have the KW v3 on my 55. Looks great, drives great. It's a harder ride than stock but not as hard as springs and bilsteins give you. I've never ever adjusted them since getting them originally set up, but of course being able to set them up like you prefer is why these things are so nice.
Hey Durk, do you have a current pic of your ride to see how the KW looks on it? I think it would help the OP as well.

Reactions: Thisisgavind

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK 55 AMG
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the note. I've gone with YSR Club Performace 2-Way Coilovers, currently awaiting delivery & install.

I like the idea of being to adjust them for the occasional track-day, just a pity they can't be adjusted from in the car as you can with some of the newer Merc etc.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,963 Posts
There are KW units that are adjustable from the car with a little remote control. Those are even more expensive than the V3s :D.
Here's the V3s in box:

And here they are on the car:

Afterwards (not in this picture yet) I put 10mm spacers on the front because once you lower this car I feel the front wheels seem to be too far inside the fenders. I also did the same on the back and while that also looks great, I had a lot of issues with rubbing so I ended up removing them later on.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK 55 AMG
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are KW units that are adjustable from the car with a little remote control. Those are even more expensive than the V3s :D.
Here's the V3s in box:

And here they are on the car:

Afterwards (not in this picture yet) I put 10mm spacers on the front because once you lower this car I feel the front wheels seem to be too far inside the fenders. I also did the same on the back and while that also looks great, I had a lot of issues with rubbing so I ended up removing them later on.
Fingers crossed mine come with an in-car adjuster!

Very nice looking car BTW and I love those rear lights 👍

I have 10mm spacers on mine with stock dampers and H&R lowering springs, no issues with rubbing so hopefully I won't with the YSRs. Definitely don't want to remove them, they fill the arches perfectly!

·
1,845 Posts
Durk (@Durkatlon) that stance of yours on KW looks purfect!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts