Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops-it's actually a 78 but I can't edit the title of the post.

I'm considering transitioning into the SL realm, keeping one foot in the SLK universe of course. Up for consideration is a 73 300 SL. She looks great for her age and I am going to take a closer look ASAP. It has 212k and an auto trans. Are there any known issues or things that the I savvy person such as my self can look out for? I have limited experience with MB. If it was a VW, I would not hesitate.

Any input on the subject would be huuuuggggely appreciated.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,894 Posts
hugly or hugely? I will delete after you read this :D
i will delete your other thread

i could of course have moved it here 4 u

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeesh, one little "e" and my chops get busted. Good point though, good lookin out. I did try to respond to that other post and suggest you delete it. Actually I wrote something like "Thanks again Jeff! You the man, man. You are the KING of the moderation nation! You are the mod-MASTER!" Tgen I wrote "Go Jeffery, Go Jeffery, Go Jeffery, whoop WHOOP!". Then I apologized if you don't like to be called that. Then I said hey you have the power to make this thread sleep with the fishes! Then something went screwy and it wouldn't let me post it after all that typing. Fooey! Now let's see where this post goes......but HEY stay on topic there Rox we are talking about the 300 SL.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,894 Posts
300 SL here ya go!

Attachments

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
Roxy, the main bummer is RUST

rust rust rust rust. The bodywork could sting you badly if it has succumbed to tinworm.
Everything mechanical is pretty much bullet-proof and fixable. I wouldn't even shy away from a 212k engine that had been properly looked after with 6k oil and filter changes. Look for bills for timing chain tensioner and chain replacement in there somewhere. A v8 like that should have had two or three tensioners in that kind of mileage. The chain and sprockets should have been done as well.

So take your mat, your torch, your magnet and a chum, to remind you of all the negatives you might come across. Never buy one of these on your own, they will seduce you right across a darkened showroom. The last thing you should do is get in and start it up. Get all the dirty stuff done first. It's easier to add anything untowards you find to the con list. Once you start it up and drive it, you'll be wanting to buy it regardless.
:nerd:

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elmer Fudd thank you for your response. Having spent considerable time in the northeastern US, I am used to rust and I am not really dissuaded by it, provided of course it's cosmetic and not structural (to a point). I took a close look at the car on Sunday and your right, there's plenty of rust. I was wrong about the trans, it's a four SPD man (even better). The car is what we used to call a "block away", in other words it looks good from a block away. I do love it's appearance and for years I have wanted one of those. But for some reason, this one just doesn't speak to me. I'm sure you're right, if I drove it I would be hooked.. I had some other issues come up yesterday with my SLK so I squashed the "buy bug" that has been pestering me. I need another car like I need a hole in my head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.