Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! My name is Craig from Florida and am considering purchasing a 1999 SLK230 5-speed manual in Blue. Carfax shows a one owner with all Benz dealer service throughout its 89,000 miles. Car appears in fantastic condition aside from some center console paint wear.

Up until now I wasn't considering a Mercedes as I was in the Market for a Mazda Miata when I stumbled upon this super clean SLK that I can actually afford. This purchase is a "Toy" for me as my daily driver is a company vehicle So it'll only be used for fun.

I have been reading the forums and sense the early SLK 230's were problematic? If so what specifically should I be concerned about? I intend on having this SLK inspected at the local Mercedes dealer prior to closing on the deal.

Has anyone owned a Miata prior to their SLK that can comment on the differences?

Craig

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire. The biggest problem is the K40 and some of the roof rams leaking, other than that just look for the normal wear and tear stuff.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,199 Posts
Hi Craig. Where in Florida?

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff, I'm up the road from you in Brooksville. Thank you one and all for the warm greetings. I'm hoping I can put together this SLK deal and participate in what appears to be a great forum and community.

Craig

Hi Craig. Where in Florida?

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan....

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
We owned a 97 Miata and then a 07 Miata prior to buying a preowned 05 SLK350. The SLk is a much more solidly built and more powerful. Also welcome from the East Coast.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,445 Posts
Welcome from Phoenix i got a 99 Slk 230 with 54k on the clock and i luv every mile in it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
... If so what specifically should I be concerned about?
-Look at the headliner for wrinkles: it means the hydraulic locks are leaking. Parts: $300
-Listen (stand near the trunk) when you lock/unlock the car using the remote. If you hear the PSE running for a long period of time, it means there are leaks in the system or the thing is giving out. (door locks/trunk lock operated by vacuum/pressure). Parts: $300
-Listen for any rattling in the engine bay. While it could be a lot of things, it's more than likely either 1) timing chain, 2) bearings in the supercharger, or 3) valve train noise. None of the above are good. Parts: 1st born child.
-Take the car on the fwy and feel for vibration. While it could be as simple as a wheel out of balance, it could also be the flex discs on the drive shaft. They do wear out and about $200 in parts. It took me 4 hrs to replace mine.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything. The rest is obvious stuff as for any car.

oh, and Welcome from SoCal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a 99 5 speed slk 230. All black with about 70K on it... I absolutely enjoy driving this car; it is in good condition and I try to keep it that way... I have owned four Miatas and currently own one which is sitting in Florida.. The SLK wreaks of quality by comparison and it is about as much fun to drive as the Miata.. I cannot criticize the Miata as it too is a fine car... If I had to choose it would be the SLK. You will get about the same mileage per gallon... dms

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Value

OK guys, 89,000 miles....One owner with clean carfax. Center console has some issues. Is $8999 fair?

Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for writing about the wrinkled headliner, Todd. Until I read that I had no idea why my headliner was wrinkling more and more daily. I put my finger between the vinyl and the foam a few min. ago and sure as the world, my finger came back oily smelling of hydraulics. Better get it in before the silly liner drops on my head.
Cliff in KC

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,237 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts