Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker on here for 4-5 years I think. I considered buying a 230 about 4 years ago but decided not to. Well, I'm looking again.

We have a friendly friend looking to sell his 2002 SLK 32 AMG. Here's the skinny:

1. 97k miles
2. Somewhat maintenance record (they're the second owners)
3. Car has been well taken care of aesthetically for what its worth.

What do I need to be considering before buying this car? Touch points to make sure the car is in good shape? Is there anyway to tell how good of shape the hard top convertible is? That's a feature that I'll be using every time I go out which is important.

Finally, we've settled on $12,800. Should I be lower?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,217 Posts
Alex,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year)(put looking) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t already.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car). http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
98,217 Posts

·
98,217 Posts
standby...

·
98,217 Posts
Here ya go!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker on here for 4-5 years I think. I considered buying a 230 about 4 years ago but decided not to. Well, I'm looking again.

We have a friendly friend looking to sell his 2002 SLK 32 AMG. Here's the skinny:

1. 97k miles
2. Somewhat maintenance record (they're the second owners)
3. Car has been well taken care of aesthetically for what its worth.

What do I need to be considering before buying this car? Touch points to make sure the car is in good shape? Is there anyway to tell how good of shape the hard top convertible is? That's a feature that I'll be using every time I go out which is important.

Finally, we've settled on $12,800. Should I be lower?

Thanks,

Alex
Welcome from Houston, TX! 32AMG should be really fun!
If you'll be using the roof quite often then I'd suggest you check it thoroughly. Open/close several times, see if it catches on anything (misalignment). Check the headliner for any oily spots (If there are any then you got a leaking locking cylinder. $30 DIY or $$$$'s at dealership). Check the roof hydraulic fluid. The roof hydraulic pump is located in the trunk on the passenger side. The small quarter side panel right behind the CD change removes (The same place where you get access to change you tail light bulbs) and there you'll see the pump. Can be seen here:

Check the fluid level. It should be between two lines.
Also, from my experience it's a good idea to check the steering drag link (usually it serves 100k miles) for any play and check tie rods. Check steering damper (usually 80k miles life span). See if it's oily. You can't really check it unless you remove it... Removal is just 3 bolts and 7 minutes of labor + dirty hands. This part is usually around $60. Engine mounts - see if there's any unusual resonating vibration that's hard on your ears at certain rpm range. Mine got loud at between 1700-2000 rpm and it was very loud inside the cabin at speeds exceeding 70 mph.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi and welcome from a rainy SE of England at the moment.

I have just had mine for 3 months and love it, especially the power, it just pulls and pulls. Mine had a FSH and 81,000 on the clock when I got it and I have put on nearly 5k on since.

The power is one of the things I would check on a good test drive as it should pack a punch and be silky smooth.

I've also heard that the intercooler pump goes at about 40,000 plus miles so this should have been changed by now. A lack of power could be a symptom.

All of the checks in the links above are equally valid and there are rust issues around the wheel arches which are well documented.

Haggle on the price as much as you can if you like it and it feels right and drives right.

Remember these cars were well over £45,000 new, most parts are reasonably priced and there is always someone on here who can help you out.

Let us know how you get on.

:Beer:

Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
108000 miles

PS

I just found this thread.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/9608-slk-230-inspection-checklist.html

Anything else on an AMG?

Is that mileage okay for that high performing of an engine?

Alex
10 years old next month,its still bringing smiles from me and screams from my wife!
Had 2 intercooler pumps,46k and 76k.miles,7 heated seat elements(in warranty) now not working.Otherwise,engine mounts and tie rods,steering damper.

$52000 new.
Need tires every 12k or 12 months!
Maintain it and it will last for 50 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.